210 VLD hunting vs 190 Long range Accubond

redchinviking

Ok I'm sure there is plenty of info to dig up on bullet performance but I'm really wondering where you all sit on this and why.

After having a hard time finding h1000 for my 190 LRAB load this year in a 300rum and seeing dads 300 rum shoot vld's incredibly well I decided to try out a retumbo vld load and found incredible accuracy quickly so decided to give em a try mid season.

Fast forward to the end of the season and I end up shooting my elk with the 190 accubond and my deer with the 210 vld. The cow elk was a little smaller and deer was a larger body 4x. Both broadside and slightly quartering to. Both bullets enter the 'sweet spot' behind the elbow between two ribs and hit vitals but exit the diaphragm and hit guts.

Elk was just under 400yds. 190 LRAB found under the hide on far side intact, no exit, diaphragm punctured but minimal stomach contents in cavity. weight retained was 143gr. Ran under 30 yds.

Deer was 365yds, almost same poi but of course vld does as it's designed and explodes into a million pieces. No exit. Diaphragm punctured and the entire body cavity is a mix of lungs and guts. Total destruction. Somehow found the base of what was left and weight retained was only 35gr!! Ran under 30 yds.

below is a picture of what was found. I know this is kind of apples and oranges, but I have a hard time deciding which I prefer and why. Dead is dead but I still find myself going back and forth. Meat hunter part of me prefers the accubond. Trophy part of me prefers the vld. The deer meat definitely seems like it was somewhat compromised from the contamination. Holding em both in your hand you can tell it is two far sides of the spectrum when it comes to bullet construction and maybe somewhere in between is optimal with a hybrid but what a difference. What would be a good happy medium between Accubond bonded and vld shrapnel? What do you prefer and why?

Attachments

• 93A63464-0733-40CF-818F-31A312B2E19C.jpeg
    93A63464-0733-40CF-818F-31A312B2E19C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
Your results have been the exact same as mine and bullet retention. I like both bullets. Berger flat out kill because of the the shrapnel effect, that's why I like them. If meat damage is a primary concern I always tell people Berger's might not be the right choice because they destroy some meat even on heart/ lung shots. Making critters dead ASAP is my biggest interest and why I will continue to use Berger's.

I have liked the results of LRABs as well, the bonded core has always penetrated to off side hide( has a couple of pass they'd on deer and antelope). The shrapnel effects is good but not near as violent as bergers. I view the LRABs as a happy medium. I will continue to use these bullets as well.

I have very limited experience with the hybrids but other on here really like and might be the In between your looking for

That splatter seldom gets mentioned, but that is what you get with what is essentially a super heavy varmint bullet at under 500 yards. They are hell on soft tissue. If that soft tissue is lungs, good to go. If you get a little posterior, well you might have Christmas colors. Not to say a Partition or TSX won't punch a hole through a gut and spread some joy, but it usually remains manageable. Maybe the best thing about LR easy open bullets is they do make a guy very sure of his shot angle and target window.

The 215 Berger was great out of my 300 RUM. But on deer size game it can get messy. But dead is dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.