210 gr bergers on deer.

sir,
how does this bullet compare to the sierrias on using them to hunt deer in pa?will it expand well,or not?
i have about 200 or so that i can by and was going to use them in my 300 weatherby mag.
also,is there a place on the internet that i can use for "free"on seeing drop tables out to 1000 yds or do i have to by a program from some one to see this information.
gary b.

Gary,
I don't know about the Bergers.

You can download a free ballistics program that goes to 1000 yards from Huntingnut.com. The program is called Point Blank. Dallen also has a loads page you might find interesting.

Hope this helps.
C'ya. John.

Hello

We have found that the Jackets on the Bergers are very thin and have a tendency to blow up at high velocity ON GAME. This is a bad situation and can lead to wounded animals if hit in the shoulders or bone areas.

The Sierras hold together very well and seem to penitrate much better making a faster clean kill.

The Sierra bullets we have recovered from game at longrange had mushroomed extremely well. We find only a few that do not go all the way through. They all seem to expand because the entrance hole looks like the size of the bullet diameter (very small) and the exit hole is much larger. Sometimes as round as a Grapefruit and even larger.

Berger does not recommmend his bullets for big game (Deer and Elk) hunting AT ALL for the reasons mentioned.

Darryl Cassel

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

The Berger's should be a good rockchuck and Coyote bullet, but light for deer. I might try one this coming year on a small Blacktail deer just to be sure. If I do I will be sure to have a broadside shot and have my partner, with a Sierra bullet ready to take a quick second shot. I think the 210 grainer should have enough sectional Density to finish the job regardless on a 130# deer at around 500 yards, for a test. But, only testing will tell. I would do a couple of preliminary wet packs with newspaper first though.
Vince

I SHOT A WHITETAIL DOE A LITTLE OVER 400 YARDS LAST HUNTING SEASON WITH A 210 BERGER VLD OUT OF A 7.82 WARBIRD; IMPRESSIVE IS NOT THE WORD; ENTERED BEHIND SHOULDER EXITED BEHIND OTHER SHOULDER LEFT AN EXIT WOUND THE SIZE OF A SOFTBALL, DESTROYED BOTH LUNGS AND THE HEART.. DEER WAS TROTTING WHEN SHOT A HER NOSE HIT THE GROUND FIRST.. GET MORE EXAMPLES BEFORE YOU MAKE A DECISION.. THE BULLET MAY BE TOO EXPLOSIVE AT SHORTER DISTANCES

I talked to Walt a while back about using his bullets on deer. He said he hunts small whitetail with his .25 caliber bullets. He said he makes sure to hit behind the front shoulder as the bullets will explode on bone.
Now, he is talking about a much smaller bullet, I believe the .25 is about 100 grains. A .30 calliber bullet is a lot more weight, I would guess it would hold together better. He did specifically say his bullets were not tough enough for elk size game.
frankg

For a free, Excel based Ballistic Computer used by several members of the Long-Range Hunting forum, go to:

PvC

Choose the Ballistics Link and you will find two Ballistic Computers for download. They are both based on the same program but are set up for different uses. The RBC (Ranging Ballitic Computer) can calculate ranges from MIL Dot or GPS data and dislpay the correct corrections.

This system was developed by Dave King and Peter Cronhelm (thats me) and it has been used for shots beyond 1 mile.

Peter Cronhelm

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.