210 gr bergers and 300 RUM

Korhil78

A buddy of mine leant me his Win. 70 in 300 RUM and told me that he wanted a load for it with the 210 gr bergers. I jumped at the opportunity and got some retumbo powder and bullets for it. I posted about a week ago that I was concerned about the accuracy because I had to seat the bergers so far in off the lands. I can't remember off of the top of my head but it was in the ballpark of .255 off the lands. I was kind of discouraged about that but some people here told me to go ahead and try it so I did.

To say the least, I was impressed. Got up to 94 gr of retumbo with just a little sign of pressure but not bad at all. Shot a three shot group at 100 yds that measured .335 CtC and moving at an avg speed of 3115 fps. Took it back to 300 with the Same load and it punched out a 1.6" group. A tad over 1/2 MOA at 300. I will take that from a factory rifle any day. Next I will be taking it out to 600 with the load and see how it does.

I was kind of skeptical about the bergers being so far off the lands but if you work at it they have other sweet spots.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.