210 berger and 300 wsm

Wheatgerm

im looking for load data for the 210 bergers in a 300 wsm. i had read a post on here with alot of info about them but i cannot find it now.

ive been shooting the 185 vld with good results out of my custom rem 700 for the last year but i just ran out of them so i grabbed a handful of the 210's from my friend to try out before i order more.
i have been seating the 185's to fit my magazine (dont even know how big of a jump i have) and was planning on seating the 210's the same, any suggestions on this?

also havent got a email back from berger yet. does anyone have the starting and max load for this bullet thanks!

Wheatgerm,

What powder you currently running your 185's with? I can look up data for you but need to know what powder you're wanting.

How'd you like the 185's? I'm running them through my 300 RUM right now, shoot MOA out to 500 if I do my part. running low on them and I am thinking of going to 210's. Interested in hearing your personal bullet performance on the 185's. I've got several kills with mine and have been extremely pleased with performance.

Tom

I am using the r-17 but im going to switch to h4350 because I read then noticed for myself that it is temp sensitive. I was running it 2 grains under max and got great speeds but they would vary depending on temp.. I was shooting 3/4 at 100 yards and last week shot a 4 inch group at 600.
im hoping and expecting to see the same accuracy out of the 4350 but I know the speed will be a little less.

I killed my bull elk this year with the 185's and as I was putting my 4th bullet into the killzone I was unhappy with how they performed....... UNTIL I had gotten my hands on the bull and seen the damage they had actually done. All bullets went in and blew out about the size of a 50c piece but had missed all bone. The blood trail was unbelievable (even from where the first shot had hit) this bull was just tough I guess.

Load data for the 210's and h-4350 would be great!!! Thanks

I have 3 kills with my 185 VLD's out of my 300 ultra. The first two kills were my first long range kills with this setup. I've killed deer up to 400 before, but not beyond that. My first kill was a turkey at 564. I had just finished shooting some rocks when the turkey stepped out. Bang, flop.

The next day, a small doe made mistake of standing in the field long enough for me to range and send one down range. Wasn't a true "long range" shot, but at 350, I treated it like a 500 yard shot...except I forgot to dial the windage! first shot clipped front shoulders. Deer ran 30 yards, stopped and looked at me. Through scope I could see first shot entrance. I realized what I had done and held into the gutz. Bang, flop.

The third kill came this saturday while meat hunting. I had noticed the turkeys all around me were not acting normal. They kept flying, calling, running around, and sitting in trees for 20-30 minutes. All of a sudden, the turkeys started running directly toward me and behind the turkeys I could see a big coyote in a dead run after them. I raised the rifle and at the crack of the gun, he did a backflip. The 185 VLD traveling ~3175fps hit the yote in the throat, traveled down the spine taking out 3 vertebrete and lodging in the hindquarter. No exit, but the expansion must have been violent because the hide on the belly was split a good 8-10"! Estimated shot distance 25-30 yards...hard to tell as the coyote traveled several feet backwards and rolled down the hill. ;-)

Ok, enough with the stories. Here's the data that I have.

300 WSM 210 VLD
H4350
Starting load 53.5gr @ 2450
Max 59.6 gr @ 2700

The max load could possibly be exceeded as no 2 rifle chambers are the same. I'm over listed max in my 300 RUM by a full 3 grains.

Keep us posted during load development.

Tom

Last edited:
I've tried several different combinations with the 300 WSM and heavy Bergers, and my absolute favorite powder is 7828ssc. It provides great velocity, temp insensitivity, and fabulous accuracy.

I push the 210s with 67.5 grains of 7828ssc and a CCI200 in a Norma case, however I am sure the load worked up in a Win case would be equally effective. I use an average of 2830 fps in all ballistic calculations and temps.

I push the 230 OTM Hybrid at 2705 fps with exactly 2 grains less 7828ssc in the same rifle.

60.5 grains of H4350 was the sweet spot with my last 300WSM and a 210 berger 2809fps, My other one shoots the 210's at 62 grains of H4350, but it shoots 190's with 63 grains @ 3058fps much better down range so thats all I feed it.

Last edited:
I've tried several different combinations with the 300 WSM and heavy Bergers, and my absolute favorite powder is 7828ssc. It provides great velocity, temp insensitivity, and fabulous accuracy.

I push the 210s with 67.5 grains of 7828ssc and a CCI200 in a Norma case, however I am sure the load worked up in a Win case would be equally effective. I use an average of 2830 fps in all ballistic calculations and temps.

I push the 230 OTM Hybrid at 2705 fps with exactly 2 grains less 7828ssc in the same rifle.

Your bullets are cruising.. is your gun factory or do you have a mega long barrel on there lol. Also, how are you seating them? Seems it would be hard to cram 67 g of powder in the case with a 210 bullet being seated almost at the ogive.. either way those are some impressive results, thanks

Thanks ECS375. Im hoping the 210's will be just as deadly or more than the 185's. If I can get rid of this flu ill go out and shoot the tests tomorrow, will keep you updated

i ended up measuring my lands and grooves. i seated these new bullets .120 jump is where it fits the magazine...
i only had 12 bullets so i loaded 57, 58, 59, 59.5 grains. am hoping for 1 inch 3 shot groups at 100y. hopefully shooting tomorrow

Attachments

• 2012-12-04_14-42-26_609.jpg
    2012-12-04_14-42-26_609.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 377
With a Wyatts box, I loaded 210s to 2.985" in win brass, CCI BR2s, 65.5grns Hybrid 100v, factory 24" 700 sps barrel, 2858fps avg. But H4831sc, MRP, Imr4831, and 7828ssc are good choices with 200grn + pills, the 4350s are accurate but lack the velocity in shorter barrels unless your shooting 150-180grn pills.

Wheatgerm,

Sorry to hear you've come down with the flu. Sometimes going out and shooting is just enough to make you start feeling better. Getting out, moving around, smelling gunpowder, and having a 8lb rifle stomp you in the ground... just what the Dr. ordered :D

Looks like there's more than 1/2 the length of that bullet hidden inside the case. I'm looking forward to seeing the results from this load. Keep us posted!

ESC

With a Wyatts box, I loaded 210s to 2.985" in win brass, CCI BR2s, 65.5grns Hybrid 100v, factory 24" 700 sps barrel, 2858fps avg. But H4831sc, MRP, Imr4831, and 7828ssc are good choices with 200grn + pills, the 4350s are accurate but lack the velocity in shorter barrels unless your shooting 150-180grn pills.

What's a wyatts box? If im not satisfied with the speeds I was thinking about looking into possibly 4831. This is mainly a accuracy test to see how they will shoot. If I can get 1 inch groups or better I will have a box on order immediately and go from there...

ECS. I loaded all bullets yesterday, and was going to go try to shoot but it was raining. Im back up and running on both engines today. Hopefully ill get some good testing weather!

A wyatts box is an extended mag box, about 100$ installed by a smith. They give you .110"+ extra mag length to seat the bullets out farther. As far as hodgdons powders, H4350 best accuracy, Hybrid 100v highest velocity, H4831sc best of both. Good luck.

My Gunsmith was telling me about something like that but he didn't know if he could get them for my short mag.. well if I got that then I could seat my bullets about .020 off the grooves. That will be something worth looking into thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts