20X to 60X spotting scopes

Engineering101

So I went to the optics counter of my local Sportsman's the other day to buy a spotting scope. I selected a Swarovski ($4,400), a Vortex Viper ($900) and an Alpen ($489) to take out in the parking lot. I expected the Swarovski to knock my socks off... but it didn't. Me and the clerk were checking out road signs and such way the hell and gone. Bottom line I couldn't tell the difference between them though I thought maybe they were better as the price went up though I wasn't sure.

The clerk (a young kid) assured me that the Swarovski was clearly better in that it was good to the edges and didn't dim down at full power and all that. I don't doubt him and it occurred to me the reason I couldn't tell the difference and he could is that my eyes suck now that I'm old (I'm talking Social Security old). I ended up buying the Alpen and it is just great. You would not want to lug it around chasing mountain goat but I bought it to spot bullet holes in white paper at 600 yards and it will do that.

Everybody's eyes are different but there seems to be a general rule that they get worse with age. I'm thinking that my eyes just saved me almost $4,000. That is enough for another full custom rifle! What is not to like about that? OK - to tell the truth, I'd rather that I could tell the difference but it is what it is. Anybody out there have a similar experience.?

I think your experience comparing all three under the same conditions....paid off in spades! At a certain price point......I think it becomes a very subjective decision. Our eyes are not all created equal. Therefore......it's best to compare one model against another. For me....I don't have that luxury....so exhaustive internet research leads to a leap of faith purchase. So far, I've been very lucky.

I'm glad you found the Alpen to be very agreeable to you. Many have posted positive experiences. I've had a very positive experience with the Vortex Razor spotter....and now my Meopta S2 HD 82mm with 20-70X eye piece.....same scope that NightForce uses.

Glad you found a Great spotter....Thanks for sharing,

Wayne

So I went to the optics counter of my local Sportsman's the other day to buy a spotting scope. I selected a Swarovski ($4,400), a Vortex Viper ($900) and an Alpen ($489) to take out in the parking lot. I expected the Swarovski to knock my socks off... but it didn't. Me and the clerk were checking out road signs and such way the hell and gone. Bottom line I couldn't tell the difference between them though I thought maybe they were better as the price went up though I wasn't sure.

The clerk (a young kid) assured me that the Swarovski was clearly better in that it was good to the edges and didn't dim down at full power and all that. I don't doubt him and it occurred to me the reason I couldn't tell the difference and he could is that my eyes suck now that I'm old (I'm talking Social Security old). I ended up buying the Alpen and it is just great. You would not want to lug it around chasing mountain goat but I bought it to spot bullet holes in white paper at 600 yards and it will do that.

Everybody's eyes are different but there seems to be a general rule that they get worse with age. I'm thinking that my eyes just saved me almost $4,000. That is enough for another full custom rifle! What is not to like about that? OK - to tell the truth, I'd rather that I could tell the difference but it is what it is. Anybody out there have a similar experience.?
I kinda had a similar experience when I was comparing a vortex viper to the vangaurd 20x60x80 hd .To me the vangaurd was brighter and had better contrast

101, we're probably about the same age. I did the same test with binoculars selecting Swarovski and below in price. Purchased a pair of Leupold. They performed the best for me, or at least with my eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.