209 Primers

WildRose

I'm about to place my first order of primers, bullets, powder and sabots so I can begin breaking in my new CVA Accura.

Shopping for primers I see that they are now making special 209 primers specifically for black powder rifles that carry a lower charge than regular shotgun primers. The claim is that the milder charge doesn't force the powder forward compacting it thus relieving the "crud ring" formation.

Is there anything to this or is it just marketing hype? I'll be pushing at least close to a max charge of BH209 and I do have the BH209 breech plug already installed.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I have thousands of the shotgun primers so it seems silly to buy something special for the ML unless there is an actual advantage to doing so.

Blackhorn recomends using a CCI 209M or a Federal 209A primer to properly ignite the BH209. I have used both with good results. The CCI 209M has been hard to find in our market so I've used the Federal the last 2 seasons.my Knights all have bare primer breech plugs. I was getting some blowback with both. After doing some research I switched to the regular Winchester 209 primer for my hunt last weekend and had no ignition issues and no blowbach. They are slightly longer than the CCI or Federal. That was alot simpler than using a shim.

Blackhorn recomends using a CCI 209M or a Federal 209A primer to properly ignite the BH209. I have used both with good results. The CCI 209M has been hard to find in our market so I've used the Federal the last 2 seasons.my Knights all have bare primer breech plugs. I was getting some blowback with both. After doing some research I switched to the regular Winchester 209 primer for my hunt last weekend and had no ignition issues and no blowbach. They are slightly longer than the CCI or Federal. That was alot simpler than using a shim.
Thanks. I take it you mean the winchester 209 shotgun primer?

I've also seen some people recommend some sort of an O ring between the primer and breech. Is this common? Recommended?

Did u have to buy the Black horn breech plug seperately or can you ask for it to have it put on your gun when u get it.

All 209 primers were originally designed for use in shotgun shells. Winchester and others later developed 209 primers for muzzle loader use and they are generally not as hot. When BH 209 was first released there some ignition issues with these lower powered primers and with some breech plugs. That led to BH suggesting the use of magnum primers. In my guns they both caused some blow back that made it difficult to get the primers out. The regular Winchester primers I'm using are just a slight bit longer and they seal better and allow no blow back. The o-ring is just another way of solving the problem. I'd try the primers before you try the o ring.

Did u have to buy the Black horn breech plug seperately or can you ask for it to have it put on your gun when u get it.

All 3 of my Knights are 10 to 15 years old and have been converted from the original yellow disc to the red full plastic jacket and now to bare primer which required a new breech plug that is designed for BH 209. Take a look at BH's web site. It gives you a lot of info on how to clean your breech plugs etc. and suggested loads. The new Redemption, which I just purchased, comes with a breech plug designed for pellets and offers, as a option, a loose powder plug.

Winchester W209, Fiocchi, Remington STS, CCI, CCI Magnum, Federal 209A, all will work with Blackhorn209 and the BH209 breech plug for CVA muzzle loaders.

Stay away from CCI Inline MZL, Winchester 777, Remington Kleanbore primers. These are very cool primers and do not provide the heat/particles, that it takes to reliably set off BH209.

Winchester W209, Fiocchi, Remington STS, CCI, CCI Magnum, Federal 209A, all will work with Blackhorn209 and the BH209 breech plug for CVA muzzle loaders.

Stay away from CCI Inline MZL, Winchester 777, Remington Kleanbore primers. These are very cool primers and do not provide the heat/particles, that it takes to reliably set off BH209.
Thanks. I have thousands of regular Winchester and Federal 209's for use in my blank guns (dog training and trials) and shotgun reloading. I was hoping that was the "right answer".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts