209 conversion to rifle primers -

clark270

Has anyone tried a conversion plug to use 25 cal brass with a rifle primer or 22 hornet or the little metal primer cups that holds a large or small primer. I was thinking about trying one for accuracy, less fouling. Why aren't they more popular?

My old Encore shoots in the 1" range at 200 yards if I do my part. Maybe I'll not fix what is not broken. Looking at what other people get for groups with their Encores I think I have a good one.

My T/C 209x50 Pro Hunter, using CCI209M primers, 75grs weight of BH, with a Barnes 50gr TMZ, will stack bullets on top of each other at 100yds, with less than 1.75" groups at 200yds .......... IF........ I do my part.

Sorry to say I'm putting that rifle up for sale. Made a deal with the wife, which turned out very well for me :)

I have used the 25 cal setup and really have not seen any difference in accuracy in my Encore than with a 209. The positive is it is a bit easier to prime the breach than the 209. The negative is finding and reloading the brass. Also, the tool expense for repriming the brass.

Absolutely no need to do the conversion if shooting BH209 powder.

IF you are using 777 then another story. However, that is caused by using full power 209 primers which lead to the crud ring with 777. Go to one of the ML only primers that are about 1/4 power and that will stop the crud ring too

However, BH209 is heads and shoulders above 777, so just shoot the BH 209 with better accuracy, more power and super clean.

I tried the 25 ACP conversions and worked OK until BH209 came out and then sold the conversion cheap and never looked back.

Absolutely no need to do the conversion if shooting BH209 powder.

I've read that using a large rifle primer is a little cleaner than using a 209. I don't know if this is an accurate statement or not since I have not tried it personally yet.

I needed to order a breech plug that fully enclosed the 209 for my Austin & Halleck so I can shoot BH209. For $10 more, I got some of those Vari-Flame adapters as well (link in my previous post). I'm curious to see if they do in fact make it a little cleaner.

I bought some of those Variflame primer conversion kits for my Remington 700ML. Because I wanted to use Blackhorn 209. Changed the firing pin and everything. Thought I was good to go. Went to the range where I could go out to a grand. 50 miles away. Got loaded up to fire the first shot with new primer system and fired. Hang fire. Thought I wasn't suppose to get hang fires with this system. Thought, ok I must still have lube in the primer holder or flame channel. Loaded second round. Primer goes off and that's it. Put another primer in. Again primer goes off. Didn't ignite the powder in two primers. I was mad. Traveled 50 miles back home and changed it back to 209 system. And the primer holders was not that easy to get out of the nipple. Seemed like the bolt would nick the primer holder upon firing.

Jason

Not sure how the firing pin mechanism works on a 700ML, but is there a way to adjust how far the firing pin travels? On my A&H, I had to make adjustments with the firing pin with just a primer in it until I got it to fire consistently, then an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

I bought some of those Variflame primer conversion kits for my Remington 700ML. Because I wanted to use Blackhorn 209. Changed the firing pin and everything. Thought I was good to go. Went to the range where I could go out to a grand. 50 miles away. Got loaded up to fire the first shot with new primer system and fired. Hang fire. Thought I wasn't suppose to get hang fires with this system. Thought, ok I must still have lube in the primer holder or flame channel. Loaded second round. Primer goes off and that's it. Put another primer in. Again primer goes off. Didn't ignite the powder in two primers. I was mad. Traveled 50 miles back home and changed it back to 209 system. And the primer holders was not that easy to get out of the nipple. Seemed like the bolt would nick the primer holder upon firing.

Jason

The difference between the LMRP and the 209's is, heat and pressure. The LRMP is hotter, but the 209 magnum primers have more pressure.

I've shot BH through my Ultimate with LRMP's and although the rifle isn't designed to shoot BH, it ignited it. However.... the bullet MUST be packed tight on the propellant. VERY TIGHT.

I'm no longer shooting BH through the Ultimate, of which its entire design is made to shoot pellets. I ended up with a gas cut breech plug that was replaced. Also, because I was shooting much heavier charges than can be shot from a production rifle, BH turned into a FILTHY mess, clogging up my muzzlebrake and making it twice as hard to clean the rifle.

The T7M pellets do require a swab between shots but, only 3 patches to clean the rifle. I know you want to shoot BH but, if you get a chance, try two (2) T7M pellets in that ignition system. My bet is it will ignite it instantly.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts