208gr A-MAX in 30-06?

dk17hmr

My boss invited me to his elk camp next week, after looking at my safe and realizing the only thing I had that would be suitable for elk was in rifles over 13 pounds. So I just bought a Remington 700 30-06 stainless synthic as a light weight hunting rifle, I mounted a 4.5-14x scope on it.

I havent even shot it yet and plan on going elk hunting next weekend......last minute heck ya. In all fairness I didnt think I would be elk hunting this year so I didnt have a rifle set up before hand.

I have several loads made up working with 168gr AMAX and 180gr Ballistic tips to test, than I remembered I have some 208's left.

Anyone have a go to load?

I have both Winchester Magnum Large rifle primers and Remington 9 1/2 primers.

H4350, H4831SC, H414 and Reloader 15 that would work.

Winchester once fired brass preped and ready to go.

Anyone?

2600FPS would be great.

Hey Brother,

A buddy of mine shoots a 300WM and we were getting awesome results with a 208 and 4831sc...and then he had to go off and ruin it. He to was getting ready for an elk hunt and started doing a little reading on the 208 as far as a hunting bullet goes. Some guys say they have had no problem but hornady says they are not for hunting(esp anything thicker than light skinned animals). Your BT's may be a better choice. Now if there are any guys who have shot and dropped an elk with A-max's I would love to hear about it, but from what I can gather the jacket is to thin and if it hits a shoulder it will just fly apart...just my .02 ....

I hear ya. I really want to use 180gr or 200gr Accubonds but it seems all the online venders and even Nosler is out of stock. I will have to make some calls to the local shops and see if they have anything in stock.

I would still like to hear anyone load data for the 208's in an 06.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.