208amax and 200 accubonds

darrindlh

I have a 300wm. I want to step up and use either the 200 accubonds or the 208 amax. Both of these bullets have high bc's and I can stretch things out abit. Is it possible to get out of my 24in barrel 2900 fps with both of these bullets using retumbo or h1000 powders? All opinions are welcome.

Darrin

Last edited:
I think that with H1000 or RE22 you will get very close but you are going to be hitting it very hard to get 2900 out of a 24" barrel.

James

I am leaning real hard towards the Amax "208", my powder choices are going to either be Retumbo or Ramshot magnum and I have a 26 inch barrel Sendero 300RUM

Use Retumbo, and dont expect your brass to last long, but it can be done. I put my 24" barreled Ruger 77 right up against 2900 with a 200gr Gameking. But I won't share my load, since at that level .1 or .2gr will be the difference in shooting good and the bolt stuck. Ask me how I know ..lol In my limited experience, Retumbo does not like hot weather either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the reloading data from hogdon and they recommends max load with retumbo and the 200accubonds is 78.0 grains of powder and that would give me a velocity of 2873. I think that that is doable safely. I gues I do not have to hit the 2900 mark. especially if I am going to change the barrel out anyway next year.

Darrin

I was looking at the reloading data from hogdon and they recommends max load with retumbo and the 200accubonds is 78.0 grains of powder and that would give me a velocity of 2873. I think that that is doable safely. I gues I do not have to hit the 2900 mark. especially if I am going to change the barrel out anyway next year.

Darrin

I was able to get past 78, safely, but the bolt got sticky around 81. It drives me crazy that they list 84 as max with a Partition and 78 with an Accubond. They really should just give a safe average for the bullet weight, and let people find their own max.

I was able to get past 78, safely, but the bolt got sticky around 81. It drives me crazy that they list 84 as max with a Partition and 78 with an Accubond. They really should just give a safe average for the bullet weight, and let people find their own max.

Bullets of same weight can have different bearing surfaces, therefore generating more/less pressure, handloading 101!

Also, you can find your own max even if the book lists a max, but be careful, sometimes your max will be lower than the books max!

Stay safe and may all your groups be one hole!

-X3M

I got very good accuracy at 2850 fps with h1000 and imr 7828 and
200 smk s with a 26" barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.