208 gr. AMAX vs. 200 gr. SMK from 300winmag

jammer300

I have been wondering how the 200 gr. Sierra Match Kings compare in performance to the 208 gr. AMAX . Do they fragment and separate from the jacket like the AMAX's do or do they hold together a little better on game like deer and elk and black bear? I wont be shooting out past 600 yards until I can afford to get a better scope on my 300wm. thanks :)

Shoot them and see.
I run 200gr Accubonds in my own 300WM, they shoot lights out. Have also tried Berger 215, with mixed results.

Cheers.
gun)

I haven't tried either on game, but I would suspect the 200 SMK might be unreliable, the reason I say this is its a tangent ogive design, and it might implode into its self because of the nose shape. And sometime it might not. I do know its a very accurate bullet and I think Litz actually found the BC to be higher than advertised Sierra list it at .56 and Litz found it was .58 I'm going off of memory here, but I think this is the case.
As for the 208 Amax I have nothing but good to say about it. I haven't used it on game either, but extremely accurate. I would suspect it would be good for long range, the polymer tip would initiate expansion at lower velocities.

I bought a .300WM at the end of 2014 for shooting lr steel and some hunting. I have not loaded for it yet. I plan on using the 208 Amax for steel. The Accubond has my interest for hunting. I have killed a few deer with my .300 RUM using a 180 NBT that did excellent for heart and lung shoots, but those where not over 300 yards. Over on S.H. there is a long running thread on game killed with Sierra MK's. I have killed many a deer with an Amax in 4 other calibers then a .30, never had to trail 1 more then 25 yards, most hit the ground where they are standing when they get shot...:D May have to try that 208 on a deer.

I have a good load for the 208 AMAX's where im shooting 1/2" at 100 yards and about 4" at 550 yards. I haven't been able to find any accubonds and I would love to try them if I could find them. I have about 150 of the 208 AMAX and plan on using them to hunt big game this season. I think with good shot placement these bullets are more than capable of taking down deer and elk sized game. I was just looking for some insight on how the SMK's perform before I spent the extra money on them. gun)

I wouldn't choose anything over the Amax; I shoot the Amax in both 300wm and 308 and love them. I have taken several elk from 725 yards to 60 yards with a 208 in my 300 and it was bang flop each time. I shot a cow in the shoulder at 300 yards last year with my 308 and it was bang....flop. They perform very well on game, are relatively inexpensive, have a high BC and are easy to load for. what more could you want?

I wouldn't choose anything over the Amax; I shoot the Amax in both 300wm and 308 and love them. I have taken several elk from 725 yards to 60 yards with a 208 in my 300 and it was bang flop each time. I shot a cow in the shoulder at 300 yards last year with my 308 and it was bang....flop. They perform very well on game, are relatively inexpensive, have a high BC and are easy to load for. what more could you want?

That's always good to know, thanks for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.