208 ELDM for elk

Fotis

I worked up a load for my 300 rum using this bullet. It absolutely loves it although it's extremely finicky with other bullets. My question is the following. I hunt in a place that shots can be taken from 50 to 500 yards on elk. I want to know whether somebody have shot an elk relatively close but high speed and if this bullet stayed together. I have no doubt it will do well at long range but I'm asking about short range.

GrayCreed

Not trying to be a smart *** but you are shooting a 220g slug out of a 300rum, as long as you don't expect it to shoot through branches or brush I think it will blow a hole right through the elk.

Montucky Roamer

It may be a bit splashy at closer ranges. If you use it ,stay with shots in crease. 225 eldm and the a tips have been a bit explosive for folks. I'm just guessing but the lighter and even faster 208....boy , I dunno, maybe other can chime in. Elk are certainly not at all bullet proof but extreme velocity and soft bullets can make a mess.

If you want to shoot 500 and in maybe look into hammer bullets for next fall. Extremely easy to tune , especially for guns that "are finicky" they are worth a try.

rml30378

I would not use that bullet on elk. It is basically 208 Amax. Years ago I used in my 308 Win. and they worked well on deer. Then I gave them a whirl in the 30-378 , big no no. Surface blow up at 120yds on a doe.
5B22A048-92FD-4A01-AE08-5566FA45A751.jpeg

scdogman

I wouldn’t use in a rum. That bullet needs to impact 2600 fps or lower.

If you plan to be under 500 yards, bonded or copper(hammers). Hammers tune easy!!

BC doesn’t matter much 500 yards and in. For

Hoss50

Barnes or Hammers for under 500 yard hunting at RUM speeds for me.

You need something stout to stay together at the speeds a RUM pushes, at least at closer ranges.

I am loading 168gr Barnes TTSX in a 300 weatherby. I shot my cow elk at about 70 yards this year. Impact velocity was probably about 3100fps. It trucked right through. She went maybe 40 yards and piled up. I found 1 of the nose pellets in the exit hole area.

My buddy shot a similar size cow at a similar range with his 308 shooting the barnes 165gr TTSX. Impact would have been about 2375fps. Same results. Trucked right through leaving an exit. She dropped on the spot.

257Tony

Should be fine if you're careful with your angles, which you can easily do at close range. Broadside and quartering away shots, aim for the ribs. Frontal and quartering towards, neck shots will get it done.