208 amax rockchucks

smoked

While out scouting for deer my buddy and i kept running across rockchucks, so he pulled out his 300 wsm and started shooting at them, they were 380-400 yards, after he was tired of missing and me laughing he wanted me to shoot, i range one at 388, exbal called for 4 minutes, set my 300 rum sendero up with 208 amax pushed with 94 gr retumbo and 215m primers and first shot he jumps up and down screaming, it must have launched that chuck about 25 yards from where he was standing, he first thought the long range shooting was crap but after watching first shot hits past 600 yards with a rangefinder,decent gun and exbal he is now hooked, we took the sendero out to 1300 yards on various rocks that he couldnt even get dust to show close with his standard scoped wsm, i know that 388 yards is not far for a first shot kill but is still a blast, as for carnage, the 208 amax is now my favorite, cant wait to try the 225 hpbt, I am also going to use the 208 amax on mule deer this year.gun)

I am still in preliminary testing with the 225hpbt bullets in my rum but it is looking like 90gr of retumbo will push them right at 3000fps with unreal accuracy. I'm on hold right now waiting for a new scope but will have a report up soon.

Nothing like scouting for deer and honing the LR shoting at the same time! The A-maxes are just amazing for LR varmints. I wish my rifle would have liked them better. I need to start a campaign with Berger to make a "Varmint" versoion of their 6mm 105 gr VLD. Once you get past 1000, they don't kill fast enough. Chucks can crawl off even with solid hits. Not so much with A-maxes. :D

Congratulations on the shooting and the potential Convert.

maybe its the velocity of the rum at 3200 that does itgun)

If velocity is what it takes to make a mess... then I bet my 300 RUM with the Berger 155 VLD's @ 3970 will really make a mess... and I push the 210's at just a fuzz under 3600 and I KNOW they make a mess on deer sized critters! :D

your serious about the 210 at 3600????lightbulb

Even if he thinks he is, he's not. My buddy has a 32" full custom RUM and it tops at like 3240fps. No way to add 350fps to that without 10" of barrel, and a 5" diameter action made of pure cold forged asteroid-distilled unobtainium. :D

I've heard of a guy shooting a BR 300 rum at over 3300fps (3350 is in my head..), but he throws away the brass after one full power firing, and he is using a massive ejectorless BAT action and huge barrel on a BR HG.

This is either a defective chronograph, or unchronographed, based on a faulty ballistic program input, or maybe just a typo.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.