208 AMax Range Recovery

Idaho Trecker

I did some A Max terminal reports a few months ago and was very pleased. I am still playing around with them just for fun.
Went out this morning and set up a 5 gallon jug full of water at 594 yards so I could just see how the A Max fared compared to the 215 berger load I'm also shooting. I went out a few days previous and did the same test with the 215 at the same distance but was never able to recover the bullet. Unfortunately I was not able to recover either bullet but only able to compare the exit from the jugs and the jug shot with the A Max was destroyed and the exit on the berger was about 3". I know just a visual comparison is not any scientific proof either way.

I was able to recover a 208 A Max after passing through a 5 gallon jug of water and stopping after plowing through 4" of dirt at 884 yards. The results were impressive!!!
Here are some of the specs for the weather and rifle:
Sako 85 Finnlite rechambered to 300 Dakota 1:11 twist 24"
208 A Max @ 2897 fps
27.48 inHg
7.4mph wind from approx 110degrees
52 degree F

I dialed 20 moa elevation and 3.5 moa windage on my NF 3.5-15 and let er' fly. Once down to recover the jug my elevation was perfect but windage was off by about .25 moa.

The bullet impacted with 1436 ft lbs and destroyed the jug. The bullet mushroomed to a diameter of .649 and had a weight of 184.9 grains which translates to 88.9% weight retention.

I realize the water is not the best comparison for flesh and bone but it gives a decent picture of what to expect. I hope to do the same shot with the 215 berger to make a comparison.

I will continue to use the A Max for long range hunting/target shooting especially considering the cost difference compared to the Berger.

I want to make it clear I am not bashing Berger in any way as I do shoot them also and have excellent results.

I just thought I would share and people can draw their own conclusions on bullet use.

P1020520.jpg

P1020521.jpg

P1020522.jpg

Thank you for sharing. Very useful information for me as I shoot A-Max 208s. Though not for hunting.

Impressive terminal performance to say the least.

Done some testing of my own last-winter with Accubonds, Barnes LRX & Bergers.. never did think to include AMAX. I do shoot them though. Good thread.

Wonder if the 178's would compare for retention & such, to what the 208's do* (?) I use the 178's in one of my un-braked rifles.. saves a guy on recoil vs 215 and 208's

Rooster... I'm not sure how the 178 would act but I would expect similar results at the longer distances. I have only shot the heaviest for caliber A Max in 30 and 338 cal. I just started load development with the 105 A Max in 243 and 6mm AI. I'll be posting results once I get them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.