208 A-MAX question

Coues Sniper

Looking at using the 208 A-Max's in my 300 RUM, but have a question - Do these need to be seated at or very near the lands like the Bergers and in turn make the rifle a single shot? Thanks.

really its something you just have to play with to know for sure. in my experince most heavy jacketed bullets like to have some jump into the lands and most thin jacket bullets (match grade stuff) like to be right on the lands or push in. I would guess the Amax 30 cal would like to be real close to the lands but again you really just need to play with it and see. My 6br liked the 105 Amax directly on the lands. .010 off the lands it grouped around 2" at 400yds, .010 in the lands it did the same, kissing the lands it shot under 1" at 400yds.

hope that helps some

steve

Yes it does Steve, thanks. This is going to be a hunting round, so i'd much rather be able to make use of my magazine. But if the bullet likes it the bullet likes it I guess. Under .25 MOA is hard to argue with. I'll just have to play around and see. That BC is just too tempting. Thanks again.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.