208 A-max in 300 WSm

adbeck18

I have a factory Savage model 16 in 300 WSM and was wondering if I could shoot the 208 A-max. I have heard that the long VLD style bullets are too long for the 300 WSM. But I have heard a lot of people shoot them no problems. Do they have their barrel custom made to accept long VLD style bullets or will the factory Savage work. Any thoughts? Thanks.

My rifle is throated for the long vld's and built on a short action remington. I run them but I run mine as a single shot. If my coal was any longer I would have to pull the bolt to get a loaded round out. If you want to load them in the magazine then you may not be able to get enough powder in the case to get them running. I have never tried to seat the 208's to mag length so I can't say that is fact but my case is pretty much full with the bullet seated out. Guys that say that they are to long are probably running them in short action magazines.
If you are willing to run them single feed a seating depth gage is a great tool to have to determine your coal to the lands of your rifle. Mine is a sinclair but several companys make one. This will help you determine how much room you have to work with. I have loaded a maxs in a bunch of rifles and all of them had a sweet spot between 5 and 20 thousandths off the lands.
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks ill have to look into the seating Depth guage. I dont mind single feeding i do it anyway when target shooting. Are there any other bullet recomendations for 1000+plus yards? I am new to reloading and just exploring options. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.