208 a-max in 30-378

Slydelta

Does anyone have loads for 208 grain A-max in a 30-378 Wby mag? I bought 1,000 for the high BC. I am trying to save time experimenting as I leave to Elk hunt on Oct. 7th 2008. Have a Mark 5 Wby. Thanks!:confused:

slydelta:

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear seeing as how you are rushed. But that's not the best bullet for elk unless you are assured of a shot past about 800yds where the velocity is below 2400fps. I've shot the 208 Amax in my 300 Jarret. Wouldn't recommend it for close range on something that big. I'd use the 200 accubond. A little lower bc but much better for the close in shots and will work out to 1000yds or 1800fps, whichever is farther.

Just my 2c

Thank you for your reply. I do use 180 grain barnes closer and my buddy dropped a 6x6 at just over 700 yds last season with one of my reloads. I am interested in finding what the 30-378 will do at 1000 and over as far as accuracy. I would rather pass on a questionable shot than wound an animal and have it suffer. I will check with Hornady more about bullet makeup and performance on game animals. That is a very good point. I plan on getting another 30-378 built with the longest barrel I can for long range. Eventually! Looks like I will stay with 180's this season unless things change. I had not given much thought to bullet performance as I was thinking good BC. Thank you very much. Have a good day.

I shoot the same load in both my 30-378's (stock accumark and a custom 30" hs Precision) I know it is not what you asked for but my load is 98 gr of H-1000 with a 210 Berger. I have shot the 30" rifle to 1000 with good results. This is a safe load and not hard on brass. Velocity is 3050 in the 26" accumark and 3134 in the 30" custom. This is with a 215 GM and an AOL of 3.800" both rifles have freebore.

Hope this helps! Let us know how they shoot.

Jeff

Thank you. I will try that load. I just got two cans of new h1000 the other day. I have been using the primers. Also got a lot of 50bmg. You guys are the first I have heard from that shoot the 208 grn. I will get your advice on the longer barrel and action as possible winter project. I tried for months to get the bullets and got latest Hornady book, but no load yet for 208 a-max. Thanks again. cya.

Jeff:

The 208 BC is listed as 0.648. The 200 accubond by comparison is listed at 0.588.

Thanks! Not enough over the .631 of the Bergers for me to try it I guess. Plus the results I have seen hunting with the VLD's for me has all been good. My development plat is always full anyway..:rolleyes:

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.