204 tuneup.

Ohlongarm

Fine tuned my Thompson Center Venture over the weekend, here's 10 shots benched solid shooting 26 grain Hornady NTX superformance @ 4400 feet per second.
I dropped this coyote yesterday at about 110 yards blew a nice hole in his spine DRT, look close you'll see.
He came in at sunrise to turkey hen yelps on my E- caller, was practicing for upcoming turkey season.

Attachments

• 204 tuneup.jpg
    204 tuneup.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 204 results.jpg
    204 results.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 114
Ohlongarm , does the 204 tend to copper and carbon fowl as some of the 17's tend to ? Did you need to do a break-in or did you need to lap the bore to smooth it out so that it doesn't copper fowl ? I haven't met a rifle yet straight out of the box that didn't benefit from some tuning and bedding so I am curious as to what you needed or felt you wanted to do to tune it .

Ohlongarm , does the 204 tend to copper and carbon fowl as some of the 17's tend to ? Did you need to do a break-in or did you need to lap the bore to smooth it out so that it doesn't copper fowl ? I haven't met a rifle yet straight out of the box that didn't benefit from some tuning and bedding so I am curious as to what you needed or felt you wanted to do to tune it .
By tuning up, I meant making sure it was shooting where it needs to for my applications. The rifle shot right from the box where it needed to only thing extra was a trigger job done by Mcarbo in Florida, 1.5 lb. break, beautiful. Other than that I'm 100% satisfied with this rifle and I've never noticed any copper fouling whatsoever, as I'm a stickler for a clean rifle barrel. That's it, I can hit my target at 400 yards if called upon so no need to go further I've only 50 rounds through it about 10 for sight in the rest were at live targets no misses yet, but anything can happen.
Best cheap rifle I've ever owned, THOMPSON CENTER VENTURE.

I have a tc venture 204 ruger. Mine is the predator model camo with flutted barrel. I shooting 35 gr berger hp. The venture is a good shooting rifle. I killed this sow in a dead run. She flipped end over end.
20220125_163916.jpg

I have a tc venture 204 ruger. Mine is the predator model camo with flutted barrel. I shooting 35 gr berger hp. The venture is a good shooting rifle. I killed this sow in a dead run. She flipped end over end.View attachment 357012
There's no better bang for buck than the TC, fancier brands, looks etc, but when the rubber hits the road your 2000$ rifle will get you no more varmints than my 400$ rifle, facts are facts just saying.

Ohlongarm , does the 204 tend to copper and carbon fowl as some of the 17's tend to ?
I've got 17's and 20's and in my opinion the barrel, powder and bullets contribute to how much fowling theres is and not wether its a 17 or 20.
I agree on 100% on trigger too.

I've got 17's and 20's and in my opinion the barrel, powder and bullets contribute to how much fowling theres is and not wether its a 17 or 20.
I agree on 100% on trigger too.
I've not cleaned my 204 shooting Hornady's 24 grain NTX Superformance about 25 rds., looks like it was just cleaned, this round sizzles at 4400 fps, maybe it's the round?

When i bought my tc venture it came with 5 or 6 extra new factory mags. I would like to see how fast my 204 is pushing the berger 30 gr hp. I bought mine it came with 5 boxes 35gr berger 3 boxes 40 gr berger hp loaded ammo. 5 or 6 mags. It was 450.00 . I put a nikon buckmaster 6x18x40 mm target dot. The crows wont land in the back yard anymore . I have a 2 22 250 in tc venture. I had one made into a 22 250 AI. And i have a tc venture in 280 rem. I wished they still made the regular tc venture.

Just built a 204 in an AR platform....can wait to get it out and wack some coyotes with it!!!

Currently have been shooting a 223 WSSM (Great Varmint Cartridge) but hard to find ammo for.