204 Ruger options? Tikka? Ruger?

Sid Post

I am thinking about getting a 204 Ruger bolt action. With all the favorable Tikka T3X talk, I looked into getting one of those in 204 Ruger but, it looks like Tikka/Beretta dropped that caliber based on their catalog though, GrabaGun still shows a compact T3X as an option.

The Rugers look like they are the cheap game in town. Are they good? I'd like to stay around $600 but, it looks like some of the Ruger options are ~$350 which is even better!

It looks like the GrabaGun Tikka Compact is a 20" barrel so, I wonder if I might be better off going with a different option but, the sub-6# weight is nice. So, thoughts on the Tikka, a Ruger, or something else? Is there a practical difference in muzzle blast or velocity in the 26" to 20" barrels, though it looks some tests show 23" being optimal?

TIA,
Sid

I have three rifles in .204R: a Cooper 21, a CZ 527 Varmint, and Remington LVSF; barrel lengths are 26, 24 and 22 inches, respectively. All are accurate. If I had to pick only one (very hard to do), it'd be the CZ, because size-wise it falls between a target and carry rifle, has a detachable magazine and a nice set trigger (although, if money were no object, a Model 51 Cooper repeater would rank #1!) The CZs are simply stone-cold bargains.
I can notice a difference in muzzle blast between the three barrel lengths/weights (the .204 is a surprisingly loud cartridge) and also trajectories, generally running 35 grain Bergers out of the short barrel while using longer/sleeker bullets like 39 Sierra Blitzkings for longer-distance work from the other two.
Never shot a Ruger in that chambering, although I've considered the model with the colored laminated stock; just personally prefer the convenience of a detachable box mag. I do however own a .220 Swift Mark II Target/Varmint and am impressed with its accuracy and build quality, but it sounds like it might be a bit heavier than what you're looking for.
Bottom line is that the .204 Ruger is an "inherently accurate" cartridge, and it's hard to go wrong with any of the manufacturers' offerings. Basically a matter of what size package fits your needs.

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting a 204 Ruger bolt action. With all the favorable Tikka T3X talk, I looked into getting one of those in 204 Ruger but, it looks like Tikka/Beretta dropped that caliber based on their catalog though, GrabaGun still shows a compact T3X as an option.

The Rugers look like they are the cheap game in town. Are they good? I'd like to stay around $600 but, it looks like some of the Ruger options are ~$350 which is even better!

It looks like the GrabaGun Tikka Compact is a 20" barrel so, I wonder if I might be better off going with a different option but, the sub-6# weight is nice. So, thoughts on the Tikka, a Ruger, or something else? Is there a practical difference in muzzle blast or velocity in the 26" to 20" barrels, though it looks some tests show 23" being optimal?

TIA,
Sid
Have you checked out a Thompson Center Venture?it's as good as any of the aforementioned,accuracy wise,etc,and very well built. A plus is the 1/10 twist rate ,this was the determining factor in my decision. Handles the 26 to 45 grain loadings all well.If it didn't shoot ,it wouldn't be here.

I have three rifles in .204R: a Cooper 21, a CZ 527 Varmint, and Remington LVSF; barrel lengths are 26, 24 and 22 inches, respectively. All are accurate. If I had to pick only one (very hard to do), it'd be the CZ, because size-wise it falls between a target and carry rifle, has a detachable magazine and a nice set trigger (although, if money were no object, a Model 51 Cooper repeater would rank #1!) The CZs are simply stone-cold bargains.

Thanks! I guess I need to reconsider the CZ 527 Varmint which locally is a bit spendy.

Never shot a Ruger in that chambering, although I've considered the model with the colored laminated stock; just personally prefer the convenience of a detachable box mag. I do however own a .220 Swift Mark II Target/Varmint and am impressed with its accuracy and build quality, but it sounds like it might be a bit heavier than what you're looking for.
Bottom line is that the .204 Ruger is an "inherently accurate" cartridge, and it's hard to go wrong with any of the manufacturers' offerings. Basically a matter of what size package fits your needs.

Thanks! Yes, a heavy target profile 26" model is not in the range of what would work for me. It sounds like a semi-heavy 'sporting' or light 'varmint' barrel profile in a nominal 24" length is where I need to look. With speeds approaching or exceeding 4,000FPS, noise and concussion (muzzle blast) are expected to be worse than a lot of seemingly similar cartridges.

Does the 1x12" barrel on the CZ Varmint stabilize heavy bullets?

I'm thinking I will mainly run 35gr and 39gr options but, I don't want to exclude 45's either. ;)

Does the 1x12" barrel on the CZ Varmint stabilize heavy bullets?

I'm thinking I will mainly run 35gr and 39gr options but, I don't want to exclude 45's either. ;)
Not likely; mine won't. There's the conundrum: The only factory barrel that will (reliably) spin bullets heavier than the 39-grainers is on the aforementioned TC. I personally want a bit more length than what that comes with....

Not likely; mine won't. There's the conundrum: The only factory barrel that will (reliably) spin bullets heavier than the 39-grainers is on the aforementioned TC. I personally want a bit more length than what that comes with....
a 22 inch barrel is all you need in that caliber,my farthest shot 1340 yards dropped its target in its tracks,nothing to be gained by a longer barrel length.

I have a Ruger Ultralite in 204 and an AR with a White Oak Armament upper in 204. I really like both of them. I got the Ruger first and it liked 32 grain Hornady Vmax factories but really didn't like the 40 grain Vmax. The 32 grains shot between .5 and .6 inch groups. The 40 grains were 1.5 inch and up. After a few boxes of factory loads, all I've shot have been reloads. Currently I am shooting Berger 35 grain in both rifles. Like Old Turtle said, most 204's that I have been around really have a definite preference for one bullet over others. I wanted to shoot 40 grains in both my rifles but neither one of them shot them well. I will always go with what the rifle likes over what I like. Right now, the 204 is my favorite calling caliber.

I have a Ruger Ultralite in 204 and an AR with a White Oak Armament upper in 204...

Tell me more at the WOA AR-15 upper! How long is the barrel? How does it handle? I assume accuracy and velocities are both really good. TIA!

I recently purchased a CZ varmint 25.6" barrel love it, balance is great, trigger is great and it shoots great. Factory 32grain Vmax shoot great but I like the 39 Sierra blitz king reloads, the rifle shoots that bullet really good and it has the best BC of any 20 caliber bullets (.287). 3850+ velocity out of that 39 SBK bullet. Really knocks the soup out of a coyote. 1/2" @ 100, right on @ 200, 4.5" low @ 300........ I dislike Ruger triggers, they are heavy crap.

I recently purchased a CZ varmint 25.6" barrel love it, balance is great, trigger is great and it shoots great. Factory 32grain Vmax shoot great but I like the 39 Sierra blitz king reloads, the rifle shoots that bullet really good and it has the best BC of any 20 caliber bullets (.287). 3850+ velocity out of that 39 SBK bullet. Really knocks the soup out of a coyote. 1/2" @ 100, right on @ 200, 4.5" low @ 300........ I dislike Ruger triggers, they are heavy crap.

Sounds like I might need to overlook the barrel twist issue and forget 45gr and heavier options. The CZ Varmint sounds like a really solid choice. I still might go with an AR-15 upper though from WOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.