.204 Ruger for Coyotes, what is your opinion?

Reemty J

Been looking at a cartridge for coyotes here in Mondamtana, in the past I have used a 22-250 and they are a great gun with 50 grain V-max, exits at times. Just looking at a pelt gun, already have a .17WSM rimfire, just looking at a 0-500 yard calling gun. What has been your experiences with it and what bullet do you prefer that stays in a coyote most times? Right now I use a 6.5 creedmoor as I have not been picking them up (its a little messy, but....have made shots out to 860 yards :) ) but am entertaining the thought of a .204 as pelts can be worth $100 on a good one...............we deal with some wind and distance out here. Most large males are 35-40 # nothing like those eastern monsters... :)

nothing wrong with your creed just change bullets I do like the 204 my prarie dog gun is in this caliber wind does give it a little grief though

Been looking at a cartridge for coyotes here in Mondamtana, in the past I have used a 22-250 and they are a great gun with 50 grain V-max, exits at times. Just looking at a pelt gun, already have a .17WSM rimfire, just looking at a 0-500 yard calling gun. What has been your experiences with it and what bullet do you prefer that stays in a coyote most times? Right now I use a 6.5 creedmoor as I have not been picking them up (its a little messy, but....have made shots out to 860 yards :) ) but am entertaining the thought of a .204 as pelts can be worth $100 on a good one...............we deal with some wind and distance out here. Most large males are 35-40 # nothing like those eastern monsters... :)
I love my 204,and haven't taken the 22/250 or 223 out since acquiring. There are many excellent factory loadings available,if you need to cap a yote at 1/4 mile the 39 grain Blitz King will do it 0.287 BC.At 3857fps.I use the Hornady 24 grain NTX superformance and it flat out lays em down easily out to 300 yards.I went with the TC Venture with a 1/10 twist rate it's an absolute shooter and cost me less than $500,5x20 x50 Weaver Grand Slam ,i've dropped several @1/4 mile ,but practice is key,a phenomenal round overall.Outshoots the 250 when you stretch its legs.

I had a CZ 527 Varmint model 204 for awhile and for a factory rifle, it shot extremely well. Sold it to a good friend of mine awhile back and he's been slaying coyotes with it ever since. I think all he ever shoots is factory Hornady 32gr Vmax Superformance ammo.

Have a Rem sfII in 204 shot the 32 gr v max. Lost every chest shot coyote with it. Broadside was ok. Good cat gun. I bet if I slowed it down it would of acted better just my experience.

Have a Rem sfII in 204 shot the 32 gr v max. Lost every chest shot coyote with it. Broadside was ok. Good cat gun. I bet if I slowed it down it would of acted better just my experience.
Sir,I've heard this many times before on yote frontal chest shots,if you measure a yote between its front legs as it were standing and looking at you the chest even on a big dog is barely 5 inches wide.With that being said the kill zone is tiny and resulting shots don't hit the vitals but skim hair and hide and the dog runs off virtually unscathed.Frontal chest shots are difficult,but this has been my experience back in the day when there was a learning curve. Good Luck.The 32 V-max runs at about 4020 fps and has a very high BC of 0.275 At 400 yards this round still has 450 foot pounds and less than a foot drop,way more than enough to kill a coyote,I've used that round several times and all dogs dropped and never moved an inch. But anyway things do happen.This dog took a 204 right in the chest low with a 204 32 grain Blitz King round @ 4045 fps at a little over a hundred,see entry and exit devastating blew a healthy amount of his innards out,he never even flinched.
guts.jpg

Last edited:
Sir,I've heard this many times before on yote frontal chest shots,if you measure a yote between its front legs as it were standing and looking at you the chest even on a big dog is barely 5 inches wide.With that being said the kill zone is tiny and resulting shots don't hit the vitals but skim hair and hide and the dog runs off virtually unscathed.Frontal chest shots are difficult,but this has been my experience back in the day when there was a learning curve. Good Luck.The 32 V-max runs at about 4020 fps and has a very high BC of 0.275 At 400 yards this round still has 450 foot pounds and less than a foot drop,way more than enough to kill a coyote,I've used that round several times and all dogs dropped and never moved an inch. But anyway things do happen.This dog took a 204 right in the chest low with a 204 32 grain Blitz King round @ 4045 fps at a little over a hundred,see entry and exit devastating blew a healthy amount of his innards out,he never even flinched.View attachment 187891

good info this was just my experience with if. Blood everywhere. Lost dog. I shoot a 6 cm and a 22 cm now and chest shot dogs don't move. It's my favorite shot on a coyote to take they fold.

I would stick with your 22-250. Best bullet I've found is the 52gr Speer HP (PN 1035) excellent accuracy with a 22" barrel w/39.5gr h380 @3650fps. Have run them harder in a 26in barrel but they blow up at about 4000fps in my experience. Have shot dozens and dozens of coyotes in NE MT with this bullet, an exit is VERY rare. Typically happening inside 50 yards. Actually made money last year! Hope this helps

My friend Patrick--that is what he uses...loves the 204 for varmints.I used a 17 rem for awhile and liked it...now I prefer more..im not a pelt guy so a 25-06 and 257 have done most of the work along with a couple fast 22s...the 25s are way over what you need. I'm really thinking I need a fast 6mm...I think I need to lay down and let the urge pass.

A 204 can leave a hole much like 22-250 unfortunately. It's good to 300yds, not enough after that in my experience

A 204 can leave a hole much like 22-250 unfortunately. It's good to 300yds, not enough after that in my experience
Sir,on that point I beg to differ,a 204 39 grain Blitz King at 500 yards is packing over 400 ft pounds of energy,and experiencing a 24 inch drop. In the long haul the 204 will outshoot the 250 if you do the math which I've done.Now the venerable 250 is a great round the 204 fills a niche long needed.The 204 also will shoot flatter with some loadings,they're are many charts online that corroborate what I'm saying,i'm not just rambling,I take my yote hunting serious and the 204 will flat out keep up with the 250 any day. Good shooting and shoot what makes you happy.Try the 40 grain Berger and tell me if it will drop a coyote at 300 yards,just point and shoot bang flop,the yote got hit with 500 ft pounds of energy,with a 6 inch drop.The list is endless,imagine if one was adept at handloading.Her's a little comparison chart,while not 100% perfect the tiny pill holds up fairly decent,this chart will change dependent upon different bullet weights and velocities.
chart.jpg

Last edited:
I love 204 no pelt damage they dont even know they are hit most time no exit 204 gets mt vote