204 powder suggestion

I am happy you are having success handloading the .204 Ruger. After watching the speedy 20 caliber bullets devistate rodents, it is hard to go back to pedestrian .223 and vision eliminating recoil of faster .224 cartridges. Sometimes I think the .223 Remington needs a lot of patience to wait for the bullets to hit the target.

Can you share what type of velocities out of what barrel length you are getting with 2015 & 39 BK? I did not try it because the published data says you cannot get as high a velocity as a number of other powders like TAC.

JB

Jeb405, I do not try for high velocity as I look for accuracy and barrel life. but the powder is AA 2015 25.4 grains getting 3665 at 15 feet my Cooper has a 26 inch barrel, oal is 2.395. my best grouping with this load the was at 200 meters and was a 7 shot group ( was going for 10 for the heck of it but chickened out as it was one hole) the group was measured by a bench rest scorer at a march that day and measured .069. good luck

hydehunter,

Very helpful. Holy cow is that a fine group. And that velocity is according to the manual very similar to other powders, no slouch in the 39-40 grain class.

Sorry for follow up question, but do you recall what kind of brass? I have Winchester, Nosler and Hornady. I have never tested to see if changes in brass manufacturer for 204 impacts velocity but I know for many other rounds it can.

Thanks again.

JB

I use Hornaday but are going to change to Peterson or Starline as the need comes up, also I have not checked the velocity since putting a suppressor on it so it might be a little higher if what people say about cans are true

Was loading RL-15 and 39 gr Sierra, shot quit well, this powder does not flow thru the Dillon powder funnel well, went to H335, you know the rest of that story!!

Recent Posts