204 or 223 for Prairie Dogs

I have two 20 practicals. I also have a 204 ruger but it sits and the 20 practicals get used. Cheap brass is the biggest advantage, it's so simple to neck down 223 that forming is a non issue. The 20P and 204 are pretty much identical in performance but putting together 1000 rounds of 20P is much cheaper.

Forget 32 grainers and shoot the 40 vmax or 39 sierras. An 11 twist barrel with them is the way to go, 3700 fps gives a trajectory that matches a 22-250 with less recoil and both mine are stunningly accurate. I prefer the 39 sierras but they've been unobtainable the last 3 years. I wish Sierra would get their act together.

Mine are built on bighorn origin actions with criterion varmint contour barrels I spin on myself. Incredibly sweet shooting rifles.
Agreed. The 20 Practical is an excellent caliber that deserves more attention than it gets, and for someone who already had/has several .223's with large amounts of brass on hand, it just made sense. A few years ago before all the recent craziness began, I could buy 1,000 pcs of FBI indoor range, once fired all Federal .223 brass for $30. That brass was extremely clean, polished and in excellent shape. Perfect for necking to 20P and other usages.

Over the years and on different ranges, I have picked up several 5 gal buckets of 223 and 5.56 brass that using calibers based on that case just makes sense.

Hi. I am looking at getting a prairie dog gun and am looking at a 204 or a 223 for caliber. I am leaning towards the 204 but am curious how the 204 does in the wind and it's effective range. Thanks
I've tried multiple calibers on PD. From July to October I shoot weekly in Wyoming. Started with .223 in bolt and AR. Shoot from 350 yards and beyond. Wind was an issues. Went 6.5 Grendel.. better at bucking the wind but expensive. Next tried an AR IN 6x45mm. Neck up .223 brass to .243. Shoots 80-85 grain bullet out to 600 yards. Decided to try something smaller, 17/.223. Brass preparation is time consuming. Shots lights out to 350 yards. Neck .223 brass done to .17 caliber. Two years ago purchased a franchi momentum elite varmint bolt gun in .224 Valkyrie. Bras is reasonabe. Shoots 80.5 Bergers, 88 ELDM and 90 grain bergers to 1150 yards. IMHO for shooting in windy conditions from 300 to 700 yards most efficient and accurate caliber. With the exception of the brass uses thee same components as the . 223

Killed my first p-dog with at-15 in 223. Next year I took a 204 and never switched back. I shot 32 grain bullets out to 600 yards . And yes it was windy in southern North Dakota.

Hi. I am looking at getting a prairie dog gun and am looking at a 204 or a 223 for caliber. I am leaning towards the 204 but am curious how the 204 does in the wind and it's effective range. Thanks
I have several 204's including a Remington XR100 that was my first 204- I have 1000 plus rounds loaded at most times with 40 grain Vmax on top and 8208 XBR in the tank. I also run 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings but find the Vmax the most explosive on prarire dogs.

I have several 204's including a Remington XR100 that was my first 204- I have 1000 plus rounds loaded at most times with 40 grain Vmax on top and 8208 XBR in the tank. I also run 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings but find the Vmax the most explosive on prarire dogs.
If you want really explosive, try going to an 8 or 9 twist in the 20. Got the idea from shooting 50 grain SPSX out of a 7 twist 223. Amazing what the extra rotation does in producing that red mist effect, especially further out.

If you want really explosive, try going to an 8 or 9 twist in the 20. Got the idea from shooting 50 grain SPSX out of a 7 twist 223. Amazing what the extra rotation does in producing that red mist effect, especially further out.
I built a Stiller Precision single shot action behind a 1x9 twist Lilja barrel, McMillan stock-it shoots the 40's into little bitty groups and can shoot heavier but haven't

I built a Stiller Precision single shot action behind a 1x9 twist Lilja barrel, McMillan stock-it shoots the 40's into little bitty groups and can shoot heavier but haven't
Do you notice the difference in splat factor like I did, with the faster twist? I too never found the fast twist any problem accuracy wise, despite all the internet fuelled legends to the contrary.

Do you notice the difference in splat factor like I did, with the faster twist? I too never found the fast twist any problem accuracy wise, despite all the internet fuelled legends to the contrary.
I don't know about splat factor as the 40 Vmax is pretty impressive out of all my guns. I do know the Lilja barrel doesnt seem to foul as quickly as factory Remington barrels. I will try to be more diligent on my observations this spring on SPLAT factor and report back to the troops!! I might even try it on one of our many feral hogs just for grins, behind the ear shots are pretty reliable with varmint calibers.

I'm a fan of the fast twist 223 Rem. I have a custom R700 in a 1/7 twist that shoots heavies quite well. 88gr ELDMs are my standard load for that rifle. They do better in the wind than most other bullets in 22cal. I also like Hornadys 75gr match BTHP for varmint work in an AR. Very accurate and economical to shoot. My latest gun that will be used on P-dogs is a 6mm ARC that I assembled using a variety of parts. It uses an EABCO 24" 1/7.5 twist accuracy barrel and so far has shot every load under 1 MOA with most grouping better than that. Here's a pic of my 6 ARC. If anyone is looking for 220 Swift or 204 Ruger brass, I have some that I would sell as I most likely will not get around to building a rifle in either caliber. PM if inter
I'm a fan of the fast twist 223 Rem. I have a custom R700 in a 1/7 twist that shoots heavies quite well. 88gr ELDMs are my standard load for that rifle. They do better in the wind than most other bullets in 22cal. I also like Hornadys 75gr match BTHP for varmint work in an AR. Very accurate and economical to shoot. My latest gun that will be used on P-dogs is a 6mm ARC that I assembled using a variety of parts. It uses an EABCO 24" 1/7.5 twist accuracy barrel and so far has shot every load under 1 MOA with most grouping better than that. Here's a pic of my 6 ARC. If anyone is looking for 220 Swift or 204 Ruger brass, I have some that I would sell as I most likely will not get around to building a rifle in either caliber. PM if interested.

View attachment 451210
Nice looking rig, we have an Australian shepherd named Quigley - I am not sure how to PM but if you would contact me about your brass and maybe I can learn a new trick.

All wonderful choices. For the absolute in "air time"...it's all about getting flippers, step up to a 6mm in AR platform. My go to's are 20P, 223AI, 6AR-T40 and the 6 Hagar. Take them all out, but the Hagar with v-max's is merciless. Have fun! Eric in DL

Rich's Precision has 20 Practical barrels for a reasonable price.
One could put together an AR-15 upper quit easily and economically.

223 with 40 gr is a 400 yd pdog rifle and 223 brass is free for picking off the ground at my range. 204 ruger is good to 450 yds. 22-250 with 53 gr vmax is 550 yds. Anything past that requires sub .75 moa accuracy in field conditions. Good luck.