.204 "long" range performance

JF7mmRUM

has anyone really tried pushing the limits with a .204? the farthest i've shot mine was around 450 yards or so, ended up with about a 4.5" group with factory 32gr Hornady Vmax, but it was on a VERY calm day, absolutely no wind whatsoever. I can't imagine going much farther than that with such a light bullet, but i could definitely be wrong. any input is greatly appreciated

I've got a younger cousan thats shooting custom barrel in 204 with a 1-10 twist shooting 40gr and 50gr Berger bullets ,hes made kills on ground squirls at better than 600yds. he says hes gone on paper to 800yds in no wind but thats a long way for a tiny bullet. you better have all your ducks in a row for that type of shooting.

I shoot the 630 yard steel weekly with the .40 grain bergers at my local range. Hits every time. Don't know what it will do for damage to an animal at that range though. I shot a crow with it at 420, all I seen was feathers everywhere. Sweet cartridge. It's crazy when I shoot my big guns at 630 there is a delay before it hits the steel with the .204 it's instant. Very happy with this caliber.

If you run the ballistics of the 204 and compare them to any of the lighter weight .22 and .243 bullets, you will quickly see that it is a very impressive caliber. But the 32 grain bullets aren't as impressive as the 39 or 40 grain bullets in a 204.

A 39 grain blitzking with a bc of .287 at a mv of 3800 is flatter than any 22-250 or 220 swift out to 500 yards and it just about equals a 55 grain bullet in a 243 win! And it does all of this with much less powder, less recoil, less noise, and better barrel life.

I have personally worked with two 204 rugers and I have seen what they do to rockchucks at 600+ yards and it isn't pretty.

I'm still waiting for Berger or JLK to make a 55 grain or 60 grain VLD bullet in .20 caliber. Stuff that pill into a 20 ppc or something like that and you would have the most efficient, smallest, legitimate1000 yard cartridge going!

Last edited:
I got a buddy who shoots one quite a bit with the 40gr bullets and I was amazed at the groups he was shooting at 600yds!! In the high BC bullets you are prolly limited to Berger bullets and from what i have seen when they slow down alot in the small diameter bullets you may get alot of "zip throughs" but still you can get some nice results.

i tried a box of the 40gr Vmax's but it was still during sight in/break in so i didn't shoot past 200 yards or so. found a bunch of the 32's on sale pretty cheap so i bought a bunch, maybe i'll have to try the 40's again. i had the scope off the gun for use on another gun, but i got it re-mounted today, can't wait to shoot it again. almost no recoil, great for watchin those groundhogs explode through the scope. by the way, its a browning a-bolt stalker, 24" heavy barrel, all factory. leupold base and rings, burris signature select 6-24x44, harris bipod

I killed a coyote at 250yd's with a 40gn. Killed PD's at 300yd's but have yet to kill any coyotes further than 250. Seems like every time I go there is gusty wind.

I have pushed the bullet to 3.5" groups at 500yd's at paper. I am waiting for the right day to go further on paper.

I agree, I love to shoot that caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.