.204 hammer bullets

K22; I think a 11T is a much better choice using monolithic bullets. Supposedly the 31gr Hammer Hunter is about the max wt I can use in a 204R with a 12T.
Carl L.

K22; I think a 11T is a much better choice using monolithic bullets. Supposedly the 31gr Hammer Hunter is about the max wt I can use in a 204R with a 12T.
Carl L.
At the time of ordering the barrel I briefly considered a 10T, but this is going to be a plain jane 204 shooting 34gr, 35gr., and 37gr. bullets so I choose the 11T. Looking back I wish I would have chose the 10T. I firmly believe that RPM plus velocity is one of the reasons these mouse calibers perform so well on Coyotes and other furry pelts.

I'm shooting the 31HH over 27.7 grains of IMR 8208 XBR and Fed 205M. Not a speed burner at 4080, but load is consistently sub 1/4 moa when I do my part. Best groups have been .020" from jam. Load development took all of nine rounds.

Well still no experience with the hammers but both 20 tacticals barrels came back, and the 39 seirra's shoot too good in the 1:10 twist, and the 35's seem to be pretty good too. The 1:11 seems to hammer the 35's and do well with the 39's

Just_jon, do you have any experience with the 31s on game yet? I'd be interested to see the performance. I've been trying to strike a balance between good performance on critters, and not huge exits to have to worry about. Got a load worked up with the 35 Bergers loafing at 3750, but haven't got to shoot anything with them yet.

Just_jon, do you have any experience with the 31s on game yet? I'd be interested to see the performance. I've been trying to strike a balance between good performance on critters, and not huge exits to have to worry about. Got a load worked up with the 35 Bergers loafing at 3750, but haven't got to shoot anything with them yet.
Those 35 Bergers awesome on Coyotes, you are going to like them.

I sold almost all of my other brand bullets. And only shoot 35 and 40gr berger bullets. My rifle is a 1@10 twist. Haven't shot a coyote with the 40gr yet. But the 35gr are deadly out of my 204 ruger.

Got out today and made three calling stands. On the 2nd stand shot a male coyote @ approx 110 yards almost face on. Bullet entered chest front and exited just behind the left shoulder. Coyote dropped and never moved. Blaser R8, 204 Ruger Bbl, 22.5", 1/12 twist, 31gr hammer, 28.5/TAC, CCI 450, Win brass, 3929FPS(LabRadar).

Got out today and made three calling stands. On the 2nd stand shot a male coyote @ approx 110 yards almost face on. Bullet entered chest front and exited just behind the left shoulder. Coyote dropped and never moved. Blaser R8, 204 Ruger Bbl, 22.5", 1/12 twist, 31gr hammer, 28.5/TAC, CCI 450, Win brass, 3929FPS(LabRadar).

How was the fur damage? I'm going to try this 33 gr shock hammers in my 1:12 223 looking for fur friendly.

LC; Small exit wound behind left shoulder. No hide damage at the entrance wound. Just a bullet hole.

I recently developed a 223 load using the 44gr HH. I really like that bullet. It shoots FLAT. 27.8/Benchmark, CCI450, Rem nickel plated cases. Vel: 3576fps (LabRadar) I have not tried any other Hammer bullets in the 223. Matter of fact my total Hammer experience is with the 31gr/204 and the 44gr/223. And only the one coyote with a hammer bullet, so far. We just arrived at winter quarters Friday before Thanksgiving. Only been out twice. Three stands each time. Two coyotes. The other one was with my 10ga Browning Gold with 2oz of #2TSS. Talk about instant Acne!

As a side note. My rifle is a switch barrel and I use the nickel plated cases, for the 223Rem, to make sure I do not wind up with the wrong ammol for the barrel I have on for that day.

Carl L.