2023 Elk Tags Drawn

I killed my 7x7 in 5BS, Archery, in 2008, day 13 of the hunt. I'm holding out for one more Rut Archery tag. After that it's Cow tags and meat hunting.
,Have hunted 5BN and South archery off and on since 1987. Last time was 2007. Have killed 1 bull and 5 cow. I miss 5BN. I had my are wired. Have seen some nice antelope bucks in 5BN. 24 points and counting. 🙄

,Have hunted 5BN and South archery off and on since 1987. Last time was 2007. Have killed 1 bull and 5 cow. I miss 5BN. I had my are wired. Have seen some nice antelope bucks in 5BN. 24 points and counting. 🙄
Killed my Antelope in 10, 2 years ago, had 12 points I think. Was a great hunt. 5B does have some speedgoat trophies for sure. Good elk herd but don't have the giants like some of the other units, they're far and few between in there.

1st time applicant, bull elk, Colorado 2023 1st season. Got notification today that I got drawn for area 71.

@Predator 22 encouraged me to put in for the draw. Chad, a member here came over to help me with the application.

Generous offer from Predator 22 to stay with them and to take me through the mountains. 71 is in his AO.
Conratulations and best luck when the time comes.

Attachments

• IMG_4219.jpeg
    IMG_4219.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
1st time applicant, bull elk, Colorado 2023 1st season. Got notification today that I got drawn for area 71.

@Predator 22 encouraged me to put in for the draw. Chad, a member here came over to help me with the application.

Generous offer from Predator 22 to stay with them and to take me through the mountains. 71 is in his AO.
That is some rough country, start working out now to get in shape for some possibly hard high altitude hikes

That is some rough country, start working out now to get in shape for some possibly hard high altitude hikes

I will try. Severe Asthma kicks my butt. The last 2 years we were up in the area during 2nd and 3rd, I had to pace myself. At 70 with Asthma, 2 metal knees, bad shoulders, I'll leave it up to my buddy where he takes me

Last edited:
My hats off to you , best of luck, there are some real monsters in there, go get them

Thank you for the encouragement.

I am continually get used to the external habits of the 215 Bergers coming out at 3025 in the winter. My experience at 1000 is limited to 223 and 308 gas guns with irons. This bolt gun thing with optics and launching 215s at magum velocity is something to get used to.

This is a once in a lifetime deal, I am not going to limit my shots to short range (up to 300) and mid range (up to 600). I will train hard, have 700 pieces of 215s to burn.

One good thing my buddy is an excellent wind reader. The spotter very seldom gets the credit, and I am just a trigger monkey.