2022 Wyoming whitetail

gillettehunter

This year was interesting. Had a tougher time than normal getting hold of the ranch manager where I normally hunt. When I did he told me that the ranch had been leased to an outfitter. Probably my last year hunting there.
Opening day the forecast called for a NW wind. Doesn't work for the place I often hunt on the South end of the property. So I went to the far North end. Clear to the border fence. It was just getting light as I exited the truck.
Opening day always brings a degree of excitement with it. The crisp morning air felt good. It was mostly clear with a light breeze. Perfect way to start. As the stars disappeared and the horizon brightened I eased up to the edge of a drop off. The stream was well below me and a couple of hundred yards away.
Coming to the edge I spent time using my binoculars. I'd carefully glass and then 2 steps forward and glass some more. I was rather disappointed that there was nothing in sight. After making sure nothing was right under my feet a I made a big loop. I wanted to come out on a point that was about 300 yds to the South of me.
I again I carefully approached the edge glassing as I went. Just as I was getting to where I could see the stream I saw 3 deer. There are both mulies and whitetail here. I prefer to eat the whitetail so I rarely consider a mule deer unless he is very big.
These were whitetails and appeared to be bucks! I crouched and slowly made my way near the edge so I could get prone to shoot. My rifle this day is a 6.5 SS. Very similar to a 6.5 PRC. My hand loaded 156 gr Berger's are running right at 3000 fps. It will shoot 1/3 MOA if I do my part. Prior to this I was 7 shots for 7 dead animals. Great combo that kills very well.
My scope is a Nightforce NX 8. I dropped the bipod and got the deer in my scope. I increased the magnification and knew they were mature bucks. My rangefinder told me they were 387 yds away and that I needed 3.8 MOA of elevation. I dialed 3.75 and got back on the bucks.
By this time I could only see 2 of the bucks. The one in front was quartering towards me. As I decided he looked as good antler wise as the 2nd buck in sight he gave me a mostly broadside shot. I put my finger on the trigger and as I lined up behind the shoulder I put too much pressure on the trigger and the gun fired.
Although I hadn't felt ready quite yet the sight picture had been good……. I didn't hear the slap of a bullet hitting flesh. But I couldn't see my deer either despite my elevated position. As I watched I could see 2 deer run away, stop and then continue on. In my mind I thought, there has to be a dead deer there right? Always some concern. I didn't see it fall. Could the 3 rd buck of ran off without me seeing him?
After carefully marking where I thought he had been standing I went to look. I'm going to have a hip replacement in January so I needed a reasonable place to drop off of the top of the cut bank that I was on. After getting to the stream I found a crossing point where I wouldn't get too wet. On the other side I found my buck. Best one I've gotten in a while. High shoulder shot dropped him in his tracks.
After gutting him I walked back to the truck and drove to the South to an old 2 track that went down beside the stream. I then unloaded my jet sled and loaded the buck into it. I pulled him the 50 yds to the stream and then attached a rope to the truck and pulled him across the stream. I drug the sled 20 yds to a place where the front tires were higher than the rear ones. This of course,
61746C17-AEE3-4EF4-B11B-64FCD1AFBE5F.jpeg

makes the tailgate closer to the ground. After heaving the front end of the sled on the tailgate I pushed him into the box and closed the tailgate
Not a monster but a nice buck. He eats just fine!
Bruce
3B347282-21C2-43EF-A046-20AC4EF1ADF5.jpeg

Shoulder shot. Caught spine the first year I took this rifle out on another buck. Been impressed with the 156's. The animals really haven't gone anywhere.
Bruce

This year was interesting. Had a tougher time than normal getting hold of the ranch manager where I normally hunt. When I did he told me that the ranch had been leased to an outfitter. Probably my last year hunting there.
Opening day the forecast called for a NW wind. Doesn't work for the place I often hunt on the South end of the property. So I went to the far North end. Clear to the border fence. It was just getting light as I exited the truck.
Opening day always brings a degree of excitement with it. The crisp morning air felt good. It was mostly clear with a light breeze. Perfect way to start. As the stars disappeared and the horizon brightened I eased up to the edge of a drop off. The stream was well below me and a couple of hundred yards away.
Coming to the edge I spent time using my binoculars. I'd carefully glass and then 2 steps forward and glass some more. I was rather disappointed that there was nothing in sight. After making sure nothing was right under my feet a I made a big loop. I wanted to come out on a point that was about 300 yds to the South of me.
I again I carefully approached the edge glassing as I went. Just as I was getting to where I could see the stream I saw 3 deer. There are both mulies and whitetail here. I prefer to eat the whitetail so I rarely consider a mule deer unless he is very big.
These were whitetails and appeared to be bucks! I crouched and slowly made my way near the edge so I could get prone to shoot. My rifle this day is a 6.5 SS. Very similar to a 6.5 PRC. My hand loaded 156 gr Berger's are running right at 3000 fps. It will shoot 1/3 MOA if I do my part. Prior to this I was 7 shots for 7 dead animals. Great combo that kills very well.
My scope is a Nightforce NX 8. I dropped the bipod and got the deer in my scope. I increased the magnification and knew they were mature bucks. My rangefinder told me they were 387 yds away and that I needed 3.8 MOA of elevation. I dialed 3.75 and got back on the bucks.
By this time I could only see 2 of the bucks. The one in front was quartering towards me. As I decided he looked as good antler wise as the 2nd buck in sight he gave me a mostly broadside shot. I put my finger on the trigger and as I lined up behind the shoulder I put too much pressure on the trigger and the gun fired.
Although I hadn't felt ready quite yet the sight picture had been good……. I didn't hear the slap of a bullet hitting flesh. But I couldn't see my deer either despite my elevated position. As I watched I could see 2 deer run away, stop and then continue on. In my mind I thought, there has to be a dead deer there right? Always some concern. I didn't see it fall. Could the 3 rd buck of ran off without me seeing him?
After carefully marking where I thought he had been standing I went to look. I'm going to have a hip replacement in January so I needed a reasonable place to drop off of the top of the cut bank that I was on. After getting to the stream I found a crossing point where I wouldn't get too wet. On the other side I found my buck. Best one I've gotten in a while. High shoulder shot dropped him in his tracks.
After gutting him I walked back to the truck and drove to the South to an old 2 track that went down beside the stream. I then unloaded my jet sled and loaded the buck into it. I pulled him the 50 yds to the stream and then attached a rope to the truck and pulled him across the stream. I drug the sled 20 yds to a place where the front tires were higher than the rear ones. This of course,
61746C17-AEE3-4EF4-B11B-64FCD1AFBE5F.jpeg

makes the tailgate closer to the ground. After heaving the front end of the sled on the tailgate I pushed him into the box and closed the tailgate
Not a monster but a nice buck. He eats just fine!
BruceView attachment 414528
Very nice