2022 Winter Nilgai Hunt

338 Lapua Mag has never failed me. 300 grain SMK's, and only one shot needed. I've killed off shooting sticks, tree branches and from trucks. I personally like the bullets that blow up because they destroy so much, they don't go far. The one problem I see with bullets that stay in tact is that they do less damage, however, it does give you one extra hole through the Nilgai that hopefully doesn't seal up. Additionally, I've found that 338 Lapua off shooting sticks is not as violent as shooting on the bench. Practice off sticks and be fast. If they see you, they are gone.

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please
Either your guide is an idiot or he's gotten used to guys who can't place shots with anything so he's hoping for overkill due to massive energy to solve the problem of poor shooters.

I've taken African big game with a 300wm with no problem.

If they really want something bigger look at the 375 Ruger or 375 H&H. If they tell you those won't do the job look elsewhere because something is fishy.

I've killed quite a few of them. Use a 338 edge mainly but killed a couple with a 7 mag and 30 nosler. 300 win with a good bullet works just fine for them. Problem is a lot of the outfitters for them get tired of chasing them from poorly placed shots by people who can't shoot so they make a minimum caliber that should put them down with even a decently placed shot. I guided for them for years too and saw way more people that couldn't shoot than could. Flip side of that Is people show up with a gun they are scared to shoot.
Shoot them with what you shoot best from 6.5 on up. A cannon is useless if you're afraid to pull the trigger of flinching so badly you're just flinging bullets.

1. when shooting a rifle at game, you don't really get any feel of recoil. That 300 WM should do the job on about any animal. I have taken a lot of Elk with a 308 N.M. over the years, which is a little slower than a 300WM. None of the them travel very far except for one that was a poor shot placement. That's the problem with Texas think there animals are larger that anywhere else. It really gets down to shot placement with any rifle. That 300 WM will do the job.

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please
Your 300 win Mag is plenty especially if you are dialed in with it. I have found in 30 caliber there are many better heavier bullets with better design available than my trusty 180 grain nosler partition load, and with those options the 300 win mag can be even better as far as long range hunting goes. But I have gone to bigger caliber rifles 338 win mag and 375 Ruger, will have then both throated for longer bullets why? Bigger calibers they have even bigger badder bullets available with better ballistics, and probably the real reason another toy to play with, hand loads to dial-in and just having fun shooting, but good luck on you hunt, I will look into this type of a hunt in the future. I will still keep using my 300 win mag as well. Have a Happy New year everyone.

1. when shooting a rifle at game, you don't really get any feel of recoil. That 300 WM should do the job on about any animal. I have taken a lot of Elk with a 308 N.M. over the years, which is a little slower than a 300WM. None of the them travel very far except for one that was a poor shot placement. That's the problem with Texas think there animals are larger that anywhere else. It really gets down to shot placement with any rifle. That 300 WM will do the job.
Umm, the Nilgai is an exotic import, it has nothing to do with Texas. If anything the real issue Texans have is that most of what we shoot are relatively small bodied deer compared to their northern cousins which makes anything bigger really throw them for a loop.

Let's be honest, the real problem with Texas Hunting is that MOST folks that go down there are not hunters or shooters. Guides will tell you, there are more people that cycle through those camps that are not great with guns, have not shot much, don't know about the vitals and their placement, etc. The only way to make up for that is the most killing power they can put in the hunters hands without completely scaring them of the boom. Else, they would have everyone shooting 338's and 50 BMG's to ensure each animal is killed quick!

Let's be honest, the real problem with Texas Hunting is that MOST folks that go down there are not hunters or shooters. Guides will tell you, there are more people that cycle through those camps that are not great with guns, have not shot much, don't know about the vitals and their placement, etc. The only way to make up for that is the most killing power they can put in the hunters hands without completely scaring them of the boom. Else, they would have everyone shooting 338's and 50 BMG's to ensure each animal is killed quick!
That's not a Texas problem, it's a problem guides face all over the country.

That's not a Texas problem, it's a problem guides face all over the country.
So true--but I can see it from both sides. I know a lot of guys that like to hunt--but to make enough money for what some of these hunts cost they have to work their butts off. Sometimes that leaves little time to practice shooting from all different field positions. When I was about 17-22 years old and got to hunt and shoot on a daily basis, I was absolutely deadly with a rifle--then when I was running two companies and had plenty of money to hunt what I wanted, but wasn't as good a shot anymore--I sure felt like I could have used a brush up course--and on a few occasions I did (FTW and Badlands). I doubt many guys intentionally go out to shoot bad. Many do come over gunned--or not "practiced" with new equipment.

When I was 17 I had 2 big game rifles plenty of time to shoot--but no money--when I was 45 I had all the money I needed and no time to shoot and practice. With Covid I'm starting to revert back to my 17 year old days....LOL!

So true--but I can see it from both sides. I know a lot of guys that like to hunt--but to make enough money for what some of these hunts cost they have to work their butts off. Sometimes that leaves little time to practice shooting from all different field positions. When I was about 17-22 years old and got to hunt and shoot on a daily basis, I was absolutely deadly with a rifle--then when I was running two companies and had plenty of money to hunt what I wanted, but wasn't as good a shot anymore--I sure felt like I could have used a brush up course--and on a few occasions I did (FTW and Badlands). I doubt many guys intentionally go out to shoot bad. Many do come over gunned--or not "practiced" with new equipment.

When I was 17 I had 2 big game rifles plenty of time to shoot--but no money--when I was 45 I had all the money I needed and no time to shoot and practice. With Covid I'm starting to revert back to my 17 year old days....LOL!
Don't read my wrong I'm not denigrating them because you are right. I ran my own outfit for about 25 years and many of my clients had zero time the rest of the year to work on their skills and counted on me to ensure they had a chance to succeed.

A lot of people really frown on the high fence operations because the game will just about eat out of your hand on many of them because of the density but you can shoot quality African Game on them for less than half the cost of an African Hunt.

Is that for me? No. However it keeps those people on our side when it comes to protecting and promoting hunting rights and keeping that tradition alive for future generations.

In my caliber of choice (338SS) I have the following bullets to choose from.
Barnes TTSX 225gr
Barnes LRX 280gr
Hammer Hunter 260gr

Assuming similar energy numbers, which would you choose?