2022 Winter Nilgai Hunt

I shoot around 3-4 a year most with a 300 WBY. Around 20 total And every time I can tell you I've felt undergunned. They're basically two kinds of Nilgai hunters and those that are going to lose one. I've seen them dump over backwards with a 300 win mag. And run 250 yds after being hit in the chest at 150 yds with a .416 Barrett and several lost with .338 Lapuas Shots will most likely be quick and improvised you normally have about 2-5 seconds to see get setup and a shot off. Most important is bullet selection and placement Barnes TSX and TTSX are king for Nilgai. They have some success with Berger Target and most guides frown on Eldx Berger hunting and accubonds. The biggest issue is they don't bleed and if they get into the brush you will never find them.

This is based on spot and stalk hunts not chasing them which you basically just lob lead until you run out.

They're a bear to track in that country. I spent my late teenage years living next to the Borregos gate and working on the King. Lots of Nilgai crossed over to our property and were promptly shot. They pose a real danger to horses during the rut. They love those thick wood lots of prickly pear, jumping cactus and mesquite brush. The stuff is unbelievably interwoven. Absolutely no one wants to crawl in after one nor drag one out. Lots of rattlesnakes, javelina, feral hogs and other crap that bites. They travel in tunnels you would never believe an animal that size would frequent so I understand where the guide is coming from.

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please
Two of the very largest animals I have taken (Bufflo and Elk) were taken with a 300 WinMag. I used a 180 gr TSX driven by H4831. Your 300 is quite sufficient for` the task. Picture of the TSX from my Buffalo, shot through the boiler room, broke the offside shoulder and came to rest under the hide.

Attachments

• 88CD1EDD-63F1-4F21-B481-6839112228AF.jpeg
    88CD1EDD-63F1-4F21-B481-6839112228AF.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 90
I went on a night time Nilgai hunt in south Texas in 2018 and we took 2 nice bulls at night with my 300 win mag. I mounted my FLIR thermo scope and used 180 Barnes TTSX bullets and one and done on both animals. The first one was 100 yards and the second on a little over 150 yards. Neither animal knew we where there.

Good luck on your hunt and take lots of ice.

Forest Hunter very confusing statement. You've killed 20 with a 300 WBY but alway felt under gunned. Really?
I've killed 3 with 300Bee and I bought a 375 H&H after the last one with, 2-180 sierras through the heart and didn't check up for about 400 yards, was glad we were out on the playas and not in the brush, they do not bleed from wounds. They are by far the toughest big animal I have ever hunted.

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please
300RUM is a good one to have

I used to guide on the Kenedy Ranch for nilgai when I was going to school in Kingsville. Although they are tough, they are not built of armor. With a well placed shot and a bonded bullet, your 300wm should be fine. Are you going for cows or bulls?
A voice of sanity, a good bullet, destroy heart and lungs, its dead. Period. Tough, not magic. Guides told my daughter het kimber 260 was too small for a big zebra stallion. One well placed barnes through both shoulders, lungs and heart, you guesed it, dead stallion. Went maybe 40 yds.

I agree most hunters have never shot anywhere but off a bench. I have a an old 30-06 was thinking of swapping out barrels to a 338-06.
Would be a great choice especially if 338 aI improved. Premium Bullet or a must! Barnes tsx are my bullet of choice. I shot eland kudu, gemsbok and zebra with the in 375 and 416.

your 300 with tsx and a well place shot will do it. With the 375 or 416 you can reach the vitials from any angle though.

I got a very nice cz safari mag I can make you a deal on in 375 H&H

Shot placement and a Bullet that performs are critical. If you can handle the recoil more is better

I've killed 3 and yes I do find them to be the toughest animals I've ever hunted. 2 with my 340 Wby, and 1 with a 270WSM. First one with a 340 and I accidently spined him, took 3 more shots to finish him, he simply would not die and literally was laying there bellowing at me until he died with no heart or lungs left. Second one was a perfect shot right through the lower section on both shoulders broadside, ran straight for about 90-100 yards, bullet took out the arteries over the heart and the lungs. All 340 bullets were 225 TTSX, with a couple passthroughs. Last one was with a 270 WSM, spot and stalk as I was after something else and found a huge old bull (body, not horns), and one 130 grain TTSX through the lungs dropped him on the spot.

Its all about shot placement and the strongest bullets you can find. Shoot them like african game, straight up the leg through the meat of the shoulder.

My personal opinion is that a 300WM, with good bullets, say a 180 TTSX, would perform well.

I have never hunted anything larger than the deer we find here in eastern NC. With that said, I don't think there is an animal in the lower 48 that is to much for a 300WM loaded with a properly constructed bullet.