2022 Winter Nilgai Hunt

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please
I am afraid your guide needs some more experience. In India where the Nilgai comes from anything from a .243, .270, 30.06 have taken thousands of these animals. So a .300WM is a tank for a Nilgai.. go with confidence my friend, you have what it needs.

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
My friends son took one with a 7mag 160 grain accubond to the shoulder at 263yds and dropped in its track. Nice 350lb bull, it's all about shot placement on these critters.

Attachments

• 8F073E06-9B56-4FEA-8E5B-1DAC302AA450.jpeg
    8F073E06-9B56-4FEA-8E5B-1DAC302AA450.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 701
I used a 300 WM but it always took more than one shot to put them on the ground
If you see one at 300 standing you better shoot it they don't stand long
Best meat I ever ate
Good hunting

Took mine with a solid shoulder shot from a 338 Lapua at 60 yards and did not even knock him down. Ran about 40 yards and dropped. No real blood trail to speak of and the bullet was lodged in the off shoulder.

Used the guides 338 at his request after he saw I brought a 300 WM. He was fine with the 300 and said many are taken with the 300 or smaller, but they like the added knock down of the 338 or 375 due to the lack of blood trail caused by a fatty layer of tissue under the hide that seals up entry and exit wounds. Worst part about the 338 was carrying that heavy sucker around.

Yes they are extremely tough animals. A 300wm is enough for any antelope or deer that walks. I'm guessing your guide knows that Nilgai are usually in constant motion. Unless you are hunting on a game farm, Shots can be far and fast. This makes less than perfect shots the rule with animals like Nilgai and Eland. In a perfect world 300wm is more than enough. Having said that, Id be shooting a 300 or 338 RUM or equivalent. At 300-500 yards both make sufficient hydrostatic shock and cause enough tissue damage to put your animal down with a marginal shot.

I'd question the outfitter who thinks a 300 Win Mag isn't enough for a nilgai.A good bullet and shot placement is the key.I had no problem killing one with a 165gr Interbond out of my 300 Win Mag and it exited too.The nilgai are grazers and have large stomachs.Their vitals are protected by their big shoulders,so keep that in mind.Neck shots are lethal,but not always the best either.This one lived for a few weeks after a bad neck shot.I'd go for a shoulder shot just a little above the center of of the body.
nilgai neck shot 2.jpg
nilgai neck shot.jpg

Hey , your 300 will do just fine . 300's kill elk all day long ! Your good to go .👍

They are tough animals, and most importantly their vitals are placed high behind the shoulder. The traditional whitetail shot placement is likely a gut shot and causes a lot of running you hear so much about. I shot one on the Mariposa is South Texas a few years back. They were skitish and stayed in the heavy brush like an axis deer. I was on a whitetail hunt when we ran across a nice trophy bull. The only shot offered was a front facing neck shot at about 250 yards, as he peeked up and out of brush. I put the crosshairs right at the base of the neck and my 270wsm 130gr dropped it in its tracks. Looked like someone simply pulled the power plug.
My co-hunter shot one the next day behind the shoulder with a 300 weatherby 180gr fusion bullet and it ran for about 100 yards before it fell. I think it all comes down to shot placement. I do know that the ranch has a minimum caliber required of a 30 cal magnum. I just happened to have taken my 270wsm that day for whitetail. When we ran across it the guide told me to use his 300wm, but I told him I'm more comfortable with my own gun. He then told me if I shoot and wound it, I bought it regardless of the outcome. Luckily it all worked out!
I wouldn't overthink it. Nilgai reputation is kind of like wild boar. People also think you need a cannon to kill boar and talk about how tough they are, but you can kill them from anything from a 22 cal up, with right shot placement. Good luck to you on the hunt!