2022 Winter Nilgai Hunt

I used to guide on the Kenedy Ranch for nilgai when I was going to school in Kingsville. Although they are tough, they are not built of armor. With a well placed shot and a bonded bullet, your 300wm should be fine. Are you going for cows or bulls?

Cows. A freezer filler operation
Your 300wm will be plenty. Especially if its under 300yds. We used to shoot cows with 270's up to 300wm's out to 4-500 yds. I would use a 7 rm with 160gr Partitions or Accubonds. With a high shoulder shot, they would drop like rocks. Shot placement and using the right bullet and you will be fine. IMO, your guide service doesnt know what they are talking about.

I've killed quite a few of them. Use a 338 edge mainly but killed a couple with a 7 mag and 30 nosler. 300 win with a good bullet works just fine for them. Problem is a lot of the outfitters for them get tired of chasing them from poorly placed shots by people who can't shoot so they make a minimum caliber that should put them down with even a decently placed shot. I guided for them for years too and saw way more people that couldn't shoot than could. Flip side of that Is people show up with a gun they are scared to shoot.

I've killed quite a few of them. Use a 338 edge mainly but killed a couple with a 7 mag and 30 nosler. 300 win with a good bullet works just fine for them. Problem is a lot of the outfitters for them get tired of chasing them from poorly placed shots by people who can't shoot so they make a minimum caliber that should put them down with even a decently placed shot. I guided for them for years too and saw way more people that couldn't shoot than could. Flip side of that Is people show up with a gun they are scared to shoot.
I agree most hunters have never shot anywhere but off a bench. I have a an old 30-06 was thinking of swapping out barrels to a 338-06.

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please
I don't think that kind of response is adequate-Don't tell me what not to do, then leave what to do unanswered?
I know nothing of Nilgai, but a do a little about guides or outfitters riding their high horse.
You seem receptive they should have an answer to that basic question.
Bullets are key whatever you decide.
Best Wishes!

Guys I.m going on my first Texas Nilgai hunt. My guide service is unimpressed with my 300Wm. What caliber should I take? I was told cows top out at around 500lbs and shots are under 300yds.
I could use your input please
what did the guide say was wrong with 300 WM? are Nilgai tougher than elk?

A buddy and myself have a Nilgai hunt on the book for late November. This is what our guide provided:

When hunting Nilgai, one will want to use a premium bullet. All copper preferably. We have
had very good luck with the Barnes Vor-TX ammo or if loading your own, then load the TTSX or
LRX bullets. The Berger "HYBRID TARGET" works well also. Federal Premium with the gold tip
has proven to be good.
Of course, any round and probably any caliber will take a Nilgai with placing the shot in the
perfect place. But we have found that even with the 6.5 calibers and using the Barnes TTSX or
LRX bullets that the bullet will go through both shoulders on the fully matured bulls.

We are taking a 300WM and a 338LM. Going for a bull and cows. Going thru with LOMAS CHICAS OUTFITTERS. Be practiced in shooting up to 400 yards off of sticks. It's hard to move a bench around.

This is the question I ask: Do they run after being shot ?? Moose typically do not run, so I use my 6.5CM, and they get shot twice. Yes I shot a moose through the lungs with a 6.5CM. Big mature Cow. She started walking away, so the 2nd shot was in the a$s. But it was an unnecessary shot. She was dead on her feet from the 1st shot. 140gr accubond. The accubond bounced around her rib cage.