2022 Winter Nilgai Hunt

Apparently, a lot of posters contributing to this thread have taken nilgai in Texas. For those guys who don't live in Texas; how did you get the meat home? I'd like to fly in for a hunt but getting game meat home is always an issue.

Apparently, a lot of posters contributing to this thread have taken nilgai in Texas. For those guys who don't live in Texas; how did you get the meat home? I'd like to fly in for a hunt but getting game meat home is always an issue.
Hopefully people outside of Texas will tell you ow they transported their meat.
Typically, if you are hunting in "game ranch", the whole annimal is sent to a meat processor, where it is processed according to your "directions" and then shipped to you packed in dry ice.
Good luck

Most of the hunts are around kingsville. Hibler's there will process, freeze, and ship the meat when it's done. Option 2 is to debone and freeze the meat. Put it in an ice chest with dry ice. Tape up and secure the lid. Check it like any other checked bag.

My brother and I are driving down with coolers in hand and wanted to bring the meat home with us, but I have not been able to find a processor that can expedite a non-smoked order so that we could take it home with us. Neither of us are proficient in deboning so looks like we are going to have to have it shipped. I talked to both processors and it doesn't sound like it is super expensive to ship ($100 from TX to NC). I even went so far as to call a processor a couple hours north of Kingsville to see if they could even just debone and wasn't able to find anyone. So ship it is the only recourse unless you can butcher it yourself.

My brother and I are driving down with coolers in hand and wanted to bring the meat home with us, but I have not been able to find a processor that can expedite a non-smoked order so that we could take it home with us. Neither of us are proficient in deboning so looks like we are going to have to have it shipped. I talked to both processors and it doesn't sound like it is super expensive to ship ($100 from TX to NC). I even went so far as to call a processor a couple hours north of Kingsville to see if they could even just debone and wasn't able to find anyone. So ship it is the only recourse unless you can butcher it yourself.
What size coolers are you taking? Three 150 quart coolers will hold two big bulls (quartered) just fine........If you can get it processed back home.

Last edited:
What size coolers are you taking? Three 150 quart coolers will hold two big bulls (quartered) just fine........If you can get it processed back home.
Thanks for the info. My brother has access to as many large coolers as we need. I will talk to him and see if he wants to do this.