2021 Purple Heart build

snox801

Ok guys, so the 350 legend I did last year went good even through the pandemic.
So for those who don't know every year for the past 8-10 years maybe I've been putting together a semi custom rifle and donate it to the local SCI with 100 percent proceeds going to send Purple Heart recipients to legends ranch for a once in a lifetime hunt with other Purple Heart warriors.
So I've done every cool calibers I could think of and done some really cool builds. I have found I've got to be a little more careful with calibers being in Michigan. So this year I just heard back from a action maker that is willing to donate a action to the build. I will bring that into the fold later. But with that being said I'm thinking this may be a full custom build. I'm thinking .243 25"-26" 1/7 twist tube with brake.
This is about as far as I got. But every year Boyd's has been donating stocks and vortex sends a scope. Hammer has down all the load work and ammo. Other individuals have donated range finders and other random things.
So this is where I'm at. this years main goal is to get the sale of tickets somehow online and expanded the sales. Would be great to be able to fill the whole lodge with our wounded vets.

So for those who don't know every year for the past 8-10 years maybe I've been putting together a semi custom rifle and donate it to the local SCI with 100 percent proceeds going to send Purple Heart recipients to legends ranch for a once in a lifetime hunt with other Purple Heart warriors.
So I've done every cool calibers I could think of and done some really cool builds. I have found I've got to be a little more careful with calibers being in Michigan. So this year I just heard back from a action maker that is willing to donate a action to the build. I will bring that into the fold later. But with that being said I'm thinking this may be a full custom build. I'm thinking .243 25"-26" 1/7 twist tube with brake.
This is about as far as I got. But every year Boyd's has been donating stocks and vortex sends a scope. Hammer has down all the load work and ammo. Other individuals have donated range finders and other random things.
So this is where I'm at. this years main goal is to get the sale of tickets somehow online and expanded the sales. Would be great to be able to fill the whole lodge with our wounded vets.
I'll donate brass and dies for a Sherman if you want to go that route.

The problem in Michigan is, as you well know snox, being south of the rifle line. Wonder if a 45 raptor would be a good option for a short action?

The problem in Michigan is, as you well know snox, being south of the rifle line. Wonder if a 45 raptor would be a good option for a short action?

That's why I'm worried about some of the wildcats. Michigan is one of those states that is weird about that stuff.
I've done a few Michigan only style rifle in the past. And recently so I'm thinking something that can stretch out a bit more. This would be the first time I went with a tried and true caliber from the old school if you will. Part of the reason I was thinking 243 is the are super fast and flat for most shots and i would spend a lot less time explaining the caliber and what it does. I was surprised at how much I had to explain what a. 350 legend was.

I agree I've did a 6.5 creed recently. I just have a soft spot for the 243 and almost everyone knows what it is and how it performs. Especially with some 100gr hammers.

Congratulations on your great work for our wounded warriors ! Did you consider a 6.5 creedmoor as it's a little larger for game !

If you are doing a fast twist 6mm, I think the 6CM would be a good choice. I think heavy for caliber high quality factory ammo would be more readily available than in .243 Win, which is mostly limited by the majority of older .243 Win rifles having a slow twist.

But a 6SST would really open up the longer range capabilities of the heavier 6mm bullets. A 115 Berger @ 3400 is very possible.

Well Hammer bullets jumped aboard for this project so we will be launch some kind of long heavier pill.
They are donating custom load work and ammo.
That being said the 7 twist 243 would be able to shoot monos, and big cup core or factory 95gr.
It's very weird here in Michigan as even the creedmore hasn't been huge among the hunting world. Especially the 6mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.