2021 elk is in the freezer

Great work finishing what you started.
After shooting compound bows for 38 years, I am hunting whitetail deer with a recurve this year.

After watching a bunch of videos on heavy, weight-forward arrows by "Ranch Fairy" on YouTube, my set-up is shooting 700-grain arrows with a two-blade head from a 50-lb. bow. These arrows will fully penetrate a deer from any angle… if I can just get one to stand close enough.
Pwbergen that should do it! my uncle killed multiple elk with a 52# recurve and zwickey 2 blade double bevel with good foc and almost 650 gr, lets just say routinely buried to the fletch performance. Ranch Fairy has helped popularize what some have been doing for years, he has the ability to test and spread the word more than guys like my uncle.

Congrats! Don't let anyone talk you outta more arrow weight. Arrows kill with momentum and sharp tough blades. Heavy arrows carry momentum better. Just make sure the weight is up front in the broadhead or your inserts, not just a heavy shaft. Montecs kill well when kept sharp but agree they are not made of the toughest steel out there. But anyway awesome job, way to stay in the game until you got er dun.

Cudos to you for sticking with it when things go wrong and bringing the bull home to eat! Congrats

At the end of the day he's down. That's a lot of meat in your freezer you didn't pay grocery store prices for. Congratulations on a great bull. Thanks for posting. Thanks for the pictures.

The absolute worst possible time to find out that your rest is out of tune is when you let an arrow go at a bull.
I'm going to shoot heavier arrows, and better broad heads from here out. I'm currently shooting 455gr platinum pierce arrows with a montauk, granted if my bow was in tune, I would have had more energy, but I still feel the montauk should have held up a lot better.

This guy was hard won, I'm glad things worked out, but I feel terribly for how it worked out.
Sometimes we all fail a little bit and thing don't always go as planned. It don't feel good, but it happens. The good new is, the freezer is full and you are still healthy.
God is great.

Awesome!
One main reason I went to a trad bow. They won't fail on a hunt. Unless they just blow up or you crack a limb.

I'm looking at cut throat, I have a buddy that helped develop them.
They're legit, I've heard great things but couldn't get them when I was in the shopping mood. I went with 200g grizzly stik maasai and I got a LOT of confidence in them. Cheap enough I could get extras to beat on. More accurate than my field points, not joking. Granted that's out of a stickbow at 25 max but I couldn't believe the accuracy. The practice heads got really banged up but I'd file the burrs off and let them rip, they'd still be banging-together accurate. They sharpen like demons and will take a lot more punishment than you'd think with an aluminum ferrule.

Nice animal and good job hanging in there. I've heard way too many stories here in Utah of guys not doing their job, just saying oh well and wandering off to find another elk to torture.

No elk for me despite getting very close, but I learned and saw a lot for my first year.