2021 elk is in the freezer

WYOBOY

The absolute worst possible time to find out that your rest is out of tune is when you let an arrow go at a bull.
I'm going to shoot heavier arrows, and better broad heads from here out. I'm currently shooting 455gr platinum pierce arrows with a montauk, granted if my bow was in tune, I would have had more energy, but I still feel the montauk should have held up a lot better.

This guy was hard won, I'm glad things worked out, but I feel terribly for how it worked out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_231532_879.jpg
    IMG_20210921_231532_879.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_20210921_120724_671.jpg
    IMG_20210921_120724_671.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 547
  • 20210921_140953.jpg
    20210921_140953.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 545
......"and the rest of the story.."......
Hole behind front shoulder looks to be about perfect.....are you saying that was a follow-up shot...and first shot wasn't so good......?
Guys on "Born & Raised Outdoors" did a broadhead shoot into cinder blocks and thru beef shoulder bones...testing several broadcasts...give it a looksee....

Last edited:
My drop away cord came unnerved at some point. I literally watched the first arrow cork screw and hit the bull in the neck, luckily he was slightly quartered to me and the arrow buried in his off side shoulder. The bull went about a quarter mile, I shot him again In his bed, unfortunately I hit him in the near shoulder this time, (lower portion of his body was hidden in deadfall). He was having a hard time standing up. I didn't know it at the time, but I had blown both his shoulders out. I got the lung shot in him, and it ended it. Two hours later.

Last bull I shot at with an arrow....
Climbed thru coastal garbage brush up a creek bottom..up thru worse brush honey crud..got to an opening that I could see about 50yds...started cow calling...saw movement on next brush hillside..raghorn come out of the brush...let him come to a ranged opening of 30yds..centered him with my sites...shot right over his back...
Had busted off my 30yd pin in the brush..didnt know it..and the third pin up was my 40....i was so mad..but hey..if I had hit it I would probably still be packing it out of that brush pile....that was 10 years ago.....or so.....
I'm okay thinking back on that now...just as much as I was then...

Happens, but you finished it.

My first and only archery deer was from a tree stand. Shot her too far back and a little high. She dropped where she stood and allowed me to put another in the sweet spot and she died very fast.

She was struggling and whining the whole time. I felt terrible.

Congratulations, great follow up! I used Montec G5's for one year and have a broken leftover just like you do! I switched back to Muzzy and have never looked back. When things don't go as planned with an arrow, that involve bone I trust the "bone busting" Muzzy tip. The G5's are a MIM (Metal injected Molded) and I believe are not strong enough at that thin waist to handle a larger bone.......Just my experience, I know a lot of people who use them with good results.

After shooting compound bows for 38 years, I am hunting whitetail deer with a recurve this year.

After watching a bunch of videos on heavy, weight-forward arrows by "Ranch Fairy" on YouTube, my set-up is shooting 700-grain arrows with a two-blade head from a 50-lb. bow. These arrows will fully penetrate a deer from any angle… if I can just get one to stand close enough.

You followed up and you ended it with meat in the freezer ! No waste of a game animal and you figured out the problem. It always doesn't work out perfectly but it's when you adapt to things going wrong and not tuck tail you become a true sportsman ! Congratulations