2020 hunting season wrapped up

Appreciate the honesty with the "hunter error" comment. We debrief every hunt to fix what went wrong. Great season!
Yeah I'm still disappointed in myself. Had hunter a coulee the day before, pretty thoroughly. Had to ride past the coulee to check out some other areas. I had gotten off my horse and glassed two avg mule deer bucks for awhile. But and this was my error, I should've glassed harder, it was a big coulee and as I continued riding the avg bucks left and suddenly there was 3 trotting up the other side. I jumped off my horse got my gun down and watched a beauty of a mule deer disappear into some bush. Hunted for him but never saw him again that day or the next.
Talked to my cousin later that day and he had been checking his hfrs and saw that buck, and bumped him east, he probably arrived shortly after we were hunting the day before and my impatience to get to new country to search is why I never hunkered down and glassed appropriately.

Yeah I'm still disappointed in myself. Had hunter a coulee the day before, pretty thoroughly. Had to ride past the coulee to check out some other areas. I had gotten off my horse and glassed two avg mule deer bucks for awhile. But and this was my error, I should've glassed harder, it was a big coulee and as I continued riding the avg bucks left and suddenly there was 3 trotting up the other side. I jumped off my horse got my gun down and watched a beauty of a mule deer disappear into some bush. Hunted for him but never saw him again that day or the next.
Talked to my cousin later that day and he had been checking his hfrs and saw that buck, and bumped him east, he probably arrived shortly after we were hunting the day before and my impatience to get to new country to search is why I never hunkered down and glassed appropriately.
I went out with my buddy the other day for a day hunt and we glassed all day, which is the usual. We came to the conclusion that if we could go back and buy the best of only one item and have walmart stuff for the rest, we would get the best binos and use a walmart rifle :) Great that you got to see him though.

Lot of us don't accomplish that in 3 seasons let alone in 1, that's some good groceries ya got laying on the ground there, congrats it'd be fun to hear the stories ...
Moose was pretty easy, climbed on our horses rode for 10 min. Basically right to him, jumped off and shot him. Cow elk we searched for the day at the end saw a group bedding down and it was turning into a blizzard so came back the next day. Was 5 minutes from being in position to shoot and some other hunters shot off in the distance. Elk had been bedded down sunning themselves suddenly they were on high alert, things went sideways, ended up ranging one at 590, shot and she went over the hill, got there and she hadn't gone a 100yds and flopped over dead.
We received an enormous amount of snow approx 3 feet on the level so I had been snowshoeing everywhere searching for a nice whitetail, at this point I was looking for horns more than a meat. This guy jumped out at 50yards on a doe he looked big, bang he went down. He's kind of thin though, and has a broken tine and broke both his brow tines off. He was scrapping and rutting pretty hard

Thanks guys,

Have u found another monster like that whitetail u shot last year?
No I didn't get a monster again. Just a decent mature 4x4 with good mass. 6.5x47 with the 124 HH was the same result as last year. DRT. Slightly quartered to me shot at base of neck shoulder junction. Exited last rib with 30" of penetration. Congratulations again on a terrific season.

I went out with my buddy the other day for a day hunt and we glassed all day, which is the usual. We came to the conclusion that if we could go back and buy the best of only one item and have walmart stuff for the rest, we would get the best binos and use a walmart rifle :) Great that you got to see him though.
Yeah a person uses their binos more than anything. I have a pair of steiners and they're pretty good at differentiating shades of brown if I take the time to properly glass. I really like having a good 20x scope to assess something I spy with the binos though, I'd be torn lol

No I didn't get a monster again. Just a decent mature 4x4 with good mass. 6.5x47 with the 124 HH was the same result as last year. DRT. Slightly quartered to me shot at base of neck shoulder junction. Exited last rib with 30" of penetration. Congratulations again on a terrific season.
Good deal, I had my 6.5 with me the day before, passed on a 700 yd shot with the deer quartering away from me, took my 7mm the next day and shot him point blank lol

Well for new years we had ourselves an actual sausage party lol. Moose and elk and pork went into making it

A9A9D972-C1C4-490A-84BB-69FB7CFBA374.jpeg
3DBB4E17-C746-425C-A034-D3650542D854.jpeg
FCC1C820-6E79-4507-9E9E-71034DD4202E.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.