2020 Elk hunt, which state, which outfitter?

C. Thomas

What states and which outfitter to go with for a rifle hunt, no preference points. Looking for outfitter with private land tags since we have no preference points available. Not looking for a 350" plus bull, just looking for a good hunt with good shot opportunity on decent bulls. This will be our first time hunting in the west. If you have any experiences with outfitters etc that would be great. I have talked to a couple outfitters already but it makes it tough sending a deposit to someone you don't know and you can't find much info on. Thanks for any information.

I was in the same boat a few years back. I ended up going with RTS hunting near Meeker Colorado. I enjoyed the trip and took a 6x5 that I was happy with. They also had the right connections to help me get the meat taken care off and the skull too. I think Travis had 4 or 5 guides plus himself working at the time I went. All the guides seemed great. Met some great folks in the camp too.

In my case I spoke to about 15 or 20 references for a half a dozen outfitters and to be honest they all had good references. In my case I asked for people who didn't get animals as well as those who were successful. I also asked for folks from my region of the country to see how our deer hunting experiences might translate to the hunts these outfitters had.

Good luck finding the right hunt.

Give World Wide Trophy adventures a call. They have hunts that will fit what you're looking for. From personal experience I'd look for a private land hunt around Craig or meeker Colorado.

Buffalo Horn Ranch out of Meeker CO. Contact Grant Edinger at (970)878-5450 and if you do, please feel free to mention that Mike Ortiz referred you. Grant is one of the best when comes to elk hunting and the ranch is unbelievable. cheers

Know you mentioned private land due to no preference points, but a lot of guys here have had awesome hunts in WY with Nontypical Outfitters.

I would scratch Colorado. Herd way down. Parks & Wildlife are trying to figure why the elk birth rate is so low here. It is being studied intensely but no answers yet. The last two season has shown the low numbers harvested. As a resident I have spoken to many local hunters & always get the same reply. Where they have always seen elk in the past, nothing the last two seasons. The areas where I have seen & taken many elk over the years have turned up dry. No tracks or droppings. Really strange.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.