2019 Wyoming Whitetail

Just returned from my annual Wyoming Whitetail/Antelope hunt located in the foothills of the Bighorns. Spotted this drop-tine the first day and stuck with him. Shot him at 9AM the last day of my hunt. Had a few chances at him during the week between 500 and 1100 yards but all were too iffy due to wind variation, low light, and movement....lots of frustration! He was a loner and very cautious. For the last morning took a gamble, positioning well before light above a funnel we believed he was using to bed during the day. Well after sunrise we spotted him coming iin from 1200 yards, never offering a clean shot due to movement and obstacles. Lost him in a ditch at 500 yards. About 20 minutes later he appeared in our funnel offering a clean 300 yard shot. Used my 6.5x284 with 142 JLK VLD at 2988FPS. Broadside heart shot, full penetration, DRT.
View attachment 152197
What bullet is a 142 JLK VLD and who makes it?

Just returned from my annual Wyoming Whitetail/Antelope hunt located in the foothills of the Bighorns. Spotted this drop-tine the first day and stuck with him. Shot him at 9AM the last day of my hunt. Had a few chances at him during the week between 500 and 1100 yards but all were too iffy due to wind variation, low light, and movement....lots of frustration! He was a loner and very cautious. For the last morning took a gamble, positioning well before light above a funnel we believed he was using to bed during the day. Well after sunrise we spotted him coming iin from 1200 yards, never offering a clean shot due to movement and obstacles. Lost him in a ditch at 500 yards. About 20 minutes later he appeared in our funnel offering a clean 300 yard shot. Used my 6.5x284 with 142 JLK VLD at 2988FPS. Broadside heart shot, full penetration, DRT.
View attachment 152197

Greyfox,
What a deer! Trophy of a lifetime. Very happy for you.

View attachment 152197
Beautiful deer

What bullet is a 142 JLK VLD and who makes it?
JLK bullets were produced by a small company called Swampworks. They have been quite popular with the competition crowd for many years. Sadly, the owner, Steve Milholland(Swampy) passed away a short time back, and I believe the company currently is/was up for sale. Heard a rumor that it was recently sold. His target design, VLD's used the same J4 jackets as the Berger's and were of similar shape, design, and performance. While his standard offering was a 140gr VLD, about 10 years ago, he had produced a special run of 142gr bullets. I gave them a try back then and found them to be exceptionally accurate and perform very well on game over a broad range of velocity/distance...very similar to the Berger 140 HVLD. The greatest attribute of his bullets was the "very" tight consistency in weight and dimension. They had a true G7 BC of .323 which was quite impressive. Lastly, the shorter bearing surface, approximately .080" less then the 140 Berger VLD, combined with the rebated boat tail, IMO, provides reduced throat erosion/improved barrel life. A few years ago when my supply was down to a few hundred bullets, I was able to purchase the remaining stock of these bullets(1000ct). Swampy claimed at that time that his 140's spec'd out the same as the 142's...except for the 2 gr weight difference. I'm hoping JLK makes a revival.
Photo: 142 JLK VLD and retrieved bullet from a 500 yard, big Alberta Mulie shot about 5 years ago. Most are 6.5mm entrance, 1.5-2" exit on medium sized game.
337B79EE-FE99-4919-99B6-0B38A020399E.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful buck! Definitely a wall hanger. Congratulations and great job of being patient for the right opportunity. I know it is hard to do sometimes but it certainly paid off this time.

View attachment 152197

VERY nice buck, Sir. Congratulations !!!

Beautiful buck! Congratulations!
I've been using 130 gr JLKs in my 6.5 SAUM. I'd been picking them up from Steve at his place since I lived in the vicinity. I was saddened to hear of his death. I hope whoever bought his business is able to produce bullets of the same quality that Steve made.

View attachment 152197

Very nice buck! Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.