2019 Wyoming Whitetail

Just returned from my annual Wyoming Whitetail/Antelope hunt located in the foothills of the Bighorns. Spotted this drop-tine the first day and stuck with him. Shot him at 9AM the last day of my hunt. Had a few chances at him during the week between 500 and 1100 yards but all were too iffy due to wind variation, low light, and movement....lots of frustration! He was a loner and very cautious. For the last morning took a gamble, positioning well before light above a funnel we believed he was using to bed during the day. Well after sunrise we spotted him coming iin from 1200 yards, never offering a clean shot due to movement and obstacles. Lost him in a ditch at 500 yards. About 20 minutes later he appeared in our funnel offering a clean 300 yard shot. Used my 6.5x284 with 142 JLK VLD at 2988FPS. Broadside heart shot, full penetration, DRT.
View attachment 152197
Beautiful buck!! Drop tinds are always nice. Your patience and persistence paid off. Congratulations!

Congrats. Very rewarding to find a certain buck and go after him. The longer it takes and the harder you work, the more rewarding it is.

What a great buck!

Always love your contributions to the forum, especially your trip reports. Thank you for sharing!

Just returned from my annual Wyoming Whitetail/Antelope hunt located in the foothills of the Bighorns. Spotted this drop-tine the first day and stuck with him. Shot him at 9AM the last day of my hunt. Had a few chances at him during the week between 500 and 1100 yards but all were too iffy due to wind variation, low light, and movement....lots of frustration! He was a loner and very cautious. For the last morning took a gamble, positioning well before light above a funnel we believed he was using to bed during the day. Well after sunrise we spotted him coming iin from 1200 yards, never offering a clean shot due to movement and obstacles. Lost him in a ditch at 500 yards. About 20 minutes later he appeared in our funnel offering a clean 300 yard shot. Used my 6.5x284 with 142 JLK VLD at 2988FPS. Broadside heart shot, full penetration, DRT.
View attachment 152197

Art it was great seeing you again this year and congratulations on a wonderful deer! Your a wealth of knowledge and thanks for sharing that with so many! Good luck up north and hopefully I'll see you again in Wyoming.
Mike A

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.