2019 Saturday deer opener PA.

I agree that it's just PGC trying to drive license sales when they are seeing a decline.

That being said I support it and I hope they finally allow Sunday hunting as well.

Where i work getting days off in buck season is hard and is based on seniority so an extra Saturday and 3 extra Sunday's would give a lot of us younger guys a reason to buy licenses. I'm already fully invested and will always buy a license but I know guys that don't buy anymore because they only get to hunt the 2 saturdays.
[QUOTE="rharfo, post: 1543497, member: 5003] I do believe we need Sunday hunting and semi autos.
Not sure why semi autos are in this equation though...PGC wanted to give us semi autos and voted yes on using them, it was the hunters who said no. I'm not opposed to using them but it seems when the time came the majority, or at least the most vocal of hunters didn't want them in the deer woods[/QUOTE]
I had to go threw the seniority thing.It was all part of it.The bad part of the sunday hunting is two of my beat places will stop hunting on their farm's if it passes/

In Wisconsin we start on Saturday and it's pretty nice. Not having to use vacation time will definitely increase license sales. Our season runs from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the Sunday after it. Last I knew, Michigan starts on a certain date every year (November 14/15 I think).

In Wisconsin we start on Saturday and it's pretty nice. Not having to use vacation time will definitely increase license sales. Our season runs from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the Sunday after it. Last I knew, Michigan starts on a certain date every year (November 14/15 I think).
I don't think it would increase license sales numbers.
The cost for a PA resident license is close to what many of the complainers would spend for a case of good beer.
What it will probably do is make Sat. and Sun. hunters out of the first Mon. and Tues. hunters, and "maybe" help the total numbers for a year or so.

As a non resident who's bought a license for the past 25 years I think more opportunities mean more money spent in PA. And one less day of vacation I have to take.

I don't think it would increase license sales numbers.
The cost for a PA resident license is close to what many of the complainers would spend for a case of good beer.
What it will probably do is make Sat. and Sun. hunters out of the first Mon. and Tues. hunters, and "maybe" help the total numbers for a year or so.

Hey yobuck, I think you're right about that, it might help for about a year or two after everybody kinda falls in with the idea that Sat. is now the opener. Then traditions will change and hunters will get used to it and I guess we'll see what happens after that.

Hey yobuck, I think you're right about that, it might help for about a year or two after everybody kinda falls in with the idea that Sat. is now the opener. Then traditions will change and hunters will get used to it and I guess we'll see what happens after that.
Well we do agree sometimes Waynzee, we might just agree more than what might appear. lol

As a non resident who's bought a license for the past 25 years I think more opportunities mean more money spent in PA. And one less day of vacation I have to take.
I have been a non res for 20 years now also.
It frankly wouldn't really bother me if they changed it, but fact is it wont change much as for hunter numbers.
The only idea that might work for a season or two, is the free beer and wings on Friday nights, and brown goes down on Saturdays and Sundays with full autos.
If thats what it would take to get all the whiners out of the woods, id gladly contribute to the beer and wings. lol

The semi auto issue is dead for this year, PGC says no action to move it forward due to the numerous other changes. As an employee at a PA state university under contract to the Commonwealth of PA I can tell you that any change is mind blowing so it's understandable that we can't move forward in semi autos this year......

The semi auto issue is dead for this year, PGC says no action to move it forward due to the numerous other changes. As an employee at a PA state university under contract to the Commonwealth of PA I can tell you that any change is mind blowing so it's understandable that we can't move forward in semi autos this year......

Heres what i dont understand, and im not trying to be a d!€k here, why is everybody talking about hunting deer with semi autos like its something that all hunters want and PGC is shutting it down?
I believe it was 2 years ago PGC voted to allow hunting of all game species and varmints with semi autos. They put out a survey to see if there was any specific animals hunters thought we shouldnt be allowed to hunt with semi autos.

The vast majority of hunters in our state were opposed to hunting deer and bear with them. Thats the reason we can use them for furbearers and varmints and not deer. Doesnt anybody remember this?

Heres what i dont understand, and im not trying to be a d!€k here, why is everybody talking about hunting deer with semi autos like its something that all hunters want and PGC is shutting it down?
I believe it was 2 years ago PGC voted to allow hunting of all game species and varmints with semi autos. They put out a survey to see if there was any specific animals hunters thought we shouldnt be allowed to hunt with semi autos.

The vast majority of hunters in our state were opposed to hunting deer and bear with them. Thats the reason we can use them for furbearers and varmints and not deer. Doesnt anybody remember this?

Of the 4000 people who were sent surveys only about 2000 responded and I believe 35% supported it for big game and 55% supported it for furbearers and small game. The problem is that they sent the survey after announcing that they were allowing semi autos for everything so the thought was that many who supported semis thought they already got it and didn't bother returning the survey.

The other issue how different they handled crossbows and the Saturday opener, they seemed to have even less support for those two than semi autos do but the Saturday opener is proceeding forward and crossbows were implemented years ago. However their proposal for including semi autos for big game this year lasted 3 days before they changed their mind again citing "comments from hunters and law makers". I personally think it's a BS policy and should have been changed 100 years ago

I, personally agree with you even though i would continue to hunt with my bolt actions. The problem seems to be that we are in the minority in PA friend. Any time this gets brought up i see unending whining from every soapbox anyone can stand on. Fact is, hunters in PA dont want semis in the woods for big game seasons so it isnt going to change any time soon.

P.S. I HATE crossguns too, unless you are a youth, elderly or disabled

saturday opener is BS. Saturdays are the one day I am never supposed to take off from work, and even if I could, all that this will accomplish where I hunt is allowing all the D-bags who just like to walk around in the woods and foul up everyone's hunting, to now do it on opening day. As someone else said, there was a tradition: Thanksgiving, then a weekend of preparation, then the hunters who stored up a few vacation days because they are serious about the pursuit all go hunting, but the masses of interlopers are away at work.

Now it should be a free for all. Every moron running their dog through the woods, riding around on dirtbikes, people yelling, shooting, interfering. Leave it to the PA game commission with their room temperature IQ's to foul up the biggest prize of all, rifle season. These buffoons would sell their own mothers if somebody offered them a little extra revenue.

Last edited:
saturday opener is BS. Saturdays are the one day I am never supposed to take off from work, and even if I could, all that this will accomplish where I hunt is allowing all the D-bags who just like to walk around in the woods and foul up everyone's hunting, to now do it on opening day. As someone else said, there was a tradition: Thanksgiving, then a weekend of preparation, then the hunters who stored up a few vacation days because they are serious about the pursuit all go hunting, off but the masses of interlopers are away at work.

Now it should be a free for all. Every moron running their dog through the woods, riding around on dirtbikes, people yelling, shooting, interfering. Leave it to the PA game commission with their room temperature IQ's to foul up the biggest prize of all, rifle season. These buffoons would sell their own mothers if somebody offered them a little extra revenue.

Eh i agree with you to some extent. Just like crossbows allowed every idiot with a camo sweatshirt to suddenly have their stinky loud *** in the woods for a season that previously took year-round practice, dedication and true woodsmanship.

I also will miss the tradition and excitement of the weekend after thanksgiving but the first 2 days of rifle season on public ground were always a sh!tshow though if i remember correctly. My dad and i got into a lease and never looked back.