2019 Sask. Whitetail

Nice buck! Any idea why his right antler has the black/charred look to it? Rubbing on a burnt tree trunk?

Hope you can load the video, that would be cool to see.

I saw the same thing happen with two moose. We knocked down the larger one and the smaller one ignored us and went after the downed big guy. It was all about the rut being in full swing and he kept up the attack until we chased him away. I guess once their adrenaline is flowing they are oblivious to all else.

Nice buck! Any idea why his right antler has the black/charred look to it? Rubbing on a burnt tree trunk?

Hope you can load the video, that would be cool to see.
The dark part on the antler is left overs from velvet. Not sure why he didn't have it more polished up

I was telling an older neighbour about the deer goring mine and he told me one time he came across a mule deer fighting a whitetail(which I've never heard of until now) and he said that smaller whitetail was so much more aggressive that he beat the crap out of that mule deer

View attachment 158895 View attachment 158896 Hiked about 9 miles into a foot traffic only area I was unfamiliar with. Found this brute. Shot him at 620yds with a 143eldx from my 6.5cm. It was a low cloud day with 8" of fresh snow the night before and still lightly snowing periodically. He dropped instantly then sat back after 30-45seconds on his fronts and I shot him again in the neck, dropping him flat.
Then the oddest thing happened.
The smaller buck that had peacefully been trailing him ran over and started goring him. I actually videoed it. He rooted and gored my deer, pushing him about 30 yards through the snow. He didn't look at me until I was 40 yards away, heading towards him. I think with the type of day it was, he never even heard the shot and when the deer dropped he saw his chance to get him. It was bizarre.View attachment 158897View attachment 158898
I had the same thing happen in South Texas several years ago. My dead 10 point was gored countless times by a lesser 8 point until he was completely exhausted. I had it on video and no one could figure it out.

Congratulations nice deer and awesome story which is what makes hunting. That big buck had probably kicked his but previously and this was his chance for revenge. I have seen it with turkeys several times.

I had the same thing happen in South Texas several years ago. My dead 10 point was gored countless times by a lesser 8 point until he was completely exhausted. I had it on video and no one could figure it out.
Yeah they can be pretty aggressive. A couple years ago I saw antelope chasing another, both were so exhausted they could hardly run, I could've outran them they were that slow, but the one would slow down with his tongue hanging out and the one chasing would ram up a horn up his you know what. Lol

A friend of mine was watching a 6 point bull elk and a smaller spike going at it from his tree stand. He shot the big one and the spike charged in and started working over the dead bull. He had to chase the spike off. I guess when you're street brawling anything goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.