2016 LRH Group Hunt For ELK in mountains of Wyoming

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
LRH Group Hunt for elk in the western Wyoming mountains in 2016. We have hunted elk with Non-Typical Outfitters 3 times including in 2015. (I am writing this a few days before I head out for the 2015 hunt).

The following is what I wrote last year:

"Ten days ago I returned from the mountains of western Wyoming. There I spent two giddy days on horse and foot scouting for elk with Non-Typical Outfitters' Robb Wiley and three of his guides. For me this was a preview of our upcoming *October, 2014 LRH GROUP ELK HUNT.

The first morning we saw 25 bulls. Twenty-two of the twenty-five were 5's and 6's and the rest were 3 or 4 point. Incredible. We went to a different area the second morning and even though it was raining with poor visibility we saw 12 more there.

Pre-season scouting is a huge factor in the success of NTO in hunting for big bucks and bulls. I felt very privileged to "look under the hood" and see just how they do it."

- Len Backus -​
================================

We have had great results! In 2014 we had 6 bulls down in the first 3 days of the hunt.

A report on the 2013 hunt is HERE.

A report on the 2014 hunt is HERE.
================================

To reserve for 2016 you must first indicate in the forum thread your commitment to immediately send in a deposit check to the outfitter. Download the booking form HERE, print out and mail to the outfitter. Indicate on the Booking Form that you are signing up for the 2015 LRH Group Elk Hunt. And whether it is the ARCHERY or RIFLE hunt. You also must email me when you have placed the check in the mail to the outfitter. Let me know your LRH screen name, your real name and contact info. [email protected]

Bull elk hunt:
  • Hunt cost is $4,195 for two-on-one guiding or one-on one for $1,000 more
  • License cost is $577 (Regular Draw 2014), or $1,057 (Special Draw 2014)
  • Non-Typical Outfitters
  • Total of 8 to 10 hunters in camp for rifle and for archery
  • Bull elk
  • Rifle or archery
  • 85% success rate but even better than that for those in good shape and good shooters
  • Drive-in wall-tent camp
  • Horseback each day
  • High country wilderness (7,000 to 8,000 feet)
  • Long Range friendly outfitter
  • Two-on-one guiding (perfect for shooter/spotter teams)
  • RIFLE - Oct. 27 - Oct. 31, 2016 (a 5 day hunt)
  • ARCHERY – Sept. 6 – 10, 2016, 2016 (a 5 day hunt)
  • Deposit of $1,000 is only requirement until successful draw in 2016
  • Two elk Preference points needed in Regular Draw. One point needed for the more expensive Special Draw. (based on 2014 draw odds) Although ZERO points drew at an 86% rate in 2014 with the Special Draw. CORRECTION: THAT WAS 86% IN 2013 BUT 64% in 2014 SPECIAL DRAW.
  • Wyoming general state wide tag
  • Buy one preference point now HERE -- by September 30, 2015.
  • You snooze, you lose!

Last edited:
In 2016 we are fortunate that outfitter Robb Wiley has offered us the chance to hunt in his new area described below. READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH

Our 2014 elk season was arguably the best elk year we've had to date. Although mother nature did not cooperate with the weather, we were still able to harvest a tremendous line up of bulls. Our continued high bull-to-cow ratio is proving to be a great asset to our hunts. We have some of the best general season hunting in Wyoming currently.

Our archery hunt was "off the chart" successful. The biggest archery bull that we took scored right around 310". We were 100% for arrows flung. Multiple arrows were fired at bulls 300" to 330". One of our clients stated after his hunt that. "In 20 years of archery hunting, I have never even heard of elk hunting this good!"

This year, we conducted our second Long Range Hunting group hunt with Len and Andy Backus. If you are interested in reading a hunt review on LongRangHunting.com, please click here: Long Range Hunting & Non-Typical Outfitters' 2014 Group Elk Hunt Report, by Andy Backus

We are also going to be adding a new elk hunt next year. It will be a 1-on-1 hunt only and will be conducted in some of the most rugged terrain that we have. We have taken our biggest bulls in years past in these areas. The largest was a 370" bull. Also, check out Brenda's bull from 2014 below. The hunt will be the last week of October. We will be hunting bulls that were located during preseason scouting or while hunting mule deer earlier in the year. The goal for this hunt will be a 300" bull or better. Give us a call for more details about this new hunt.
- Robb Wiley -

2014 Elk taken (The first one is mine)

elk-hunt2014-05.jpg

elk-hunt2014-01.jpg

elk-hunt2014-03.jpg

elk-hunt2014-07.jpg

elk-hunt2014-12.jpg

elk-hunt2014-20.jpg

elk-hunt2014-28.jpg

Hey Len, I'm in for two spots if possible, one for me and one for my wife. We have one point for elk now and would apply in the special draw to get the tag. I've shot a few Elk before but she has never hunted Elk. I asked her what was the one animal she wanted to hunt in North America and she said Elk. This hunt sounds like the perfect one to do it on!

TXRandy

Randy, welcome!

Please download and send in the hunt agreement with your deposit right away. This one will sell out really fast.

Four spots gone counting you two.

Ray, I would buy another one.

The activity is so strong, I think it'll be full very soon.

Last edited:
Len.
Sign me up for this one on the one on one in the new area. I sent Rob and Brenda a deposit about two months ago. I planned to hunt regardless next year but I was really hoping to get in with you guys again. This is Justin from the 2014 hunt, by the way. It'll be me and my Dad again and a non hunting guest who is an old army buddy of mine who is coming to spot for me. I'll down load the form and get it sent in and they already have my deposit. I also have one point and I'm going to put in for the special draw. I am looking forward to this so much. Well it's off to the gym to prepare for the new extra rugged terrain haha, as if the regular rugged terrain out there wasn't tough enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.