2016 caribou/moose hunt help

6mm06guy

Hi everyone, I am lucky enough to have a friend in alaska that has invited me to moose and caribou hunt with him. I have never hunted anything bigger than white tailed deer in Missouri and kansas. Do any of you guys have any advice on how I should dress, what I can and can't bring with me, how or where to hunt these monstrous and beautiful creatures? The center fire rifles I own that may be up to the task are, 8mm remington magnum, 270wsm, 270 win, howa 6.5x55, and have plans on getting a winchester 325wsm. I am in dire need of any help and advice I can get guys. As far as location all I know is that I'm supposed to be hunting within 2hrs of north pole alaska.

Thanks in advance guys. John.

What kind of hunt... Flying in a cub or driving to a cabin tent will get you very different equipment list. The gun choice is personal and will get responses from .22 to 460 wby. Clothes.. No cotton, flexable layers, lots of socks, micro fleece hat. How much and exact items depend on hunt type.

We are going to hunt moose and caribou, camping several miles away from the game sleeping in a camper, 4wheeling and hiking in every morning, so I'm told.

Your 8mm Magnum will drop anything up here. Unless your wanting to buy a new rifle, then I would suggest 30 caliber and bigger.

Caribou are surprisingly easy to put down, After the shot breaks they tend to just DRT even if you miss lol. Just kidding but they do tend to be an easier animal to put down and 6.5x55 or either of your 270.'s would be a great choice. As for moose im pretty sure there recommended minimum up there is 7mm or 30 cal and up however most places is 270. Win and up. Your 270. Wsm with a nice strong bonded bullet would do the trick just fine. I do personally like having a little larger gun and would also recommended 30. Cal and up. I hunt moose every year in Ontario, Canada and our group uses a lot of 7mm mags, and a lot of 30-06's. I carry a 300. Win mag pushing 215 hybrids around 2900 fps. I have also carried my 7mm mag and my old man has hunted for 30 years and has always shot his 270. Win and has never experienced a problem.

As for clothing the only thing I can recommended is be prepared for anything. Great boots! Warm, waterproof, and make sure they are broken in and comfy!! Wind breakers of some sort in case the weather is not terriblely cold but a hell of a wind. And other then that, warm dry clothes. Call your buddy, he's can tell you more about the style of hubting and the best things to bring

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm just a little nervous about the whole trip, do any of you have recommendations on getting meat and antlers back to missouri?

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm just a little nervous about the whole trip, do any of you have recommendations on getting meat and antlers back to missouri?

Hi, me my brother and uncle just hunted caribou up on the north slope back in August. As far as meat we dropped ours off at a processor in Delta Junction. Its about 80mi southeast of North Pole, and they had 4 caribou processed and shipped to us within a few weeks and I must say it is some of the best game meat I have ever had!! Get some salami :D.....
As for the antlers we called pro taxidermy in Fairbanks, and they came and met us at Walmart and picked up the antlers and hides. The caribou were still in velvet so they are just curing the antlers and tanning the hides then shipping them to my taxidermist at home. I live in western Oklahoma. We all stressed over everything we had to get done too. With this being our first trip up there and all but the people mentioned above were more than helpful

How much did the processing cost you? And the mounting. I'm trying to figure out how much money to bring with me.

How much did the processing cost you? And the mounting. I'm trying to figure out how much money to bring with me.

Processing was roughly $360/caribou but it's really going to depend on how "fancy" you get with it as far as the brats, salami, and all the sausages.. They have tons of options. I did mine pretty basic- best cuts steaks, a little breakfast sausage, some salami, and turned the rest into burger.

And I couldn't tell you the cost of the taxidermist as I haven't got those back yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.