2015 LRH Group Hunt For ELK - RIFLE & ARCHERY choices

Discussion in 'LRH Group Hunts & Shooting Classes' started by Len Backus, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

2. MrBamboo

MrBamboo Member

I am bringing a Remington 700 CDL w/ Bell & Carlson stock 30-06, just working thru loads with 180 partitions. Have 2620fps with great accuracy to 500 yds (4fps spread), working on 2750 fps (11fps spread) using H4350 or W760/H414.

3. Blaich31

Blaich31 Member

I will be taking a custom 300RUM . Shooting 200gr. Accubonds gun)

4. Chopperguy

Chopperguy Well-Known Member

Tape is very much a non factor when you harvest an animal like this!

It's all about the hint and what the hinter wants. This would be a true trophy for any hunter.

Great buck!!!!!

5. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Len,
    Congratulations on your mule deer!!!
    You are an inspiration for me to stay in shape, and hunt hard. Look out after I get the hip replaced:)
    Looks like a great light weight rifle you used.
    Non Typical Outfitters is a GREAT outfit to hunt with!! Rob runs a top notch outfit.
    Looking forward to hunting with them for years to come.

6. Hornhunter32

Hornhunter32 Well-Known Member

How did the rifle hunt go this year?

7. Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation Well-Known Member

Ditto!

What were the results of this year's hunt? There's 11 pages of pre-hunt info in this thread, but no results!

8. 338edge

338edge Well-Known Member

The hunt went well. I shot a 5x5 on the second to last day of our hunt. There were 4 bulls killed out of 10 hunters. My guide who was great by the way helped me to refocus on the Lord. So we nicknamed my bull the redemption bull!!! Len will probably post pictures with a write up later.

Corey

9. dskrouse

dskrouse Member

Just a note...this was the first 5 days of a ten day season. I have not heard anything regarding the second 5 day group. It was unseasonably warm so the opportunities were fewer given the conditions...early morning late afternoon and that was it. As for as the NTO group they were a hard working and hard hunting bunch. Your job is to keep up...be ready and stay on your horse! I succeeded in the later which is a significant accomplishment! Even though I didn't get an Elk I had the time of my life!

10. Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys. The historical 85% success rate is a big draw for me.

Len mentions that the success rate is higher for good shots, in good shape.
    I'm curious how you 2105 hunters would define "good shape" given your recent experience with NTO?

11. dskrouse

dskrouse Member

Sent you a PM

12. WTLORD264M

WTLORD264M Member

Yes, I would like a better definition of "good Shape". I live in flat land at sea level, 58 years old and crossfit 4 days a week ... Goal is the 2017 Elk hunt,got my point for 2015, will do same for 2016....

13. Hornhunter32

Hornhunter32 Well-Known Member

Push as hard as you can without hurting yourself. Because the of the altitude, you will still get tired.

14. RH300UM

RH300UM Well-Known Member

Wear a pack with weight and find a place with stairs or any hills if possible. Spend a hour 3-4 times a week.
    When you do get to your elk hunt try and arrive 2-3 days early if possible. Take short hikes and let your self acclimatize.
    Nothing prepares you for hiking with weight like hiking with weight.