2015 backpack elk hunt

Did I read that right that Nm. 52 is bulls only? The cruces wilderness looks like it would have some nice fishing too. Looks like 4wd to access the trail head. Probably sloppy that time of year.

You can not beat the number and size of the Bulls here in Idaho. Especially around the mountains of the town of Salmon.It is a hunters dream. You best get on Google earth and look at the terrain of the mountains around Salmon Idaho and condition yourself for it.

Conditioning shouldn't be an issue,just the acclimation,working 6 days a week outside in the elements 10-12 hours a day will make you look at a mountain climb like a vacation :)
Everyone says when the elk is down the work begins........um NOT..... it's been my experience with the couple I've killed that it's all smiles for me packing out. The last time 4 miles three trips!!. hope to do it twice this year.
Idaho is still a possibility. I think I've narrowed it down to New Mexico, Idaho, or get a second tag in Colorado for a cow. Should finalize in a week or two
Thanks again to all who have posted with their Insight.

The antler less tags were changed to residents only a year or two ago and that is statewide. Also the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA'S) are resident draw only as well. The only way a non-resident here can kill a cow is archery or private land tag. The other thing they are doing here is with the new legislative session they are getting rid of the wildlife committee and putting it under agriculture. Think what that is going to do here in the state.

Well it's going to be a second tag in Colorado for me this year. Probably southern end of the state. We'll be in unit 54 first rifle then I'm headed to 80 or 81. Thanks again for all the input. Maybe 2016 will give me a few more opportunities for either idaho or new mexico.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.