2015 Backpack Bull

tt35

After close to 40 miles in the back country, most of which was loaded, my 2015 backpack elk hunt ended well with a seven by seven bull. I walked away from a six by six herd bull on the evening before the opener to hike eight or nine miles in the dark bedding down at twenty til one , getting up at four then negotiating mountain goat trails with a full pack to get above the bull and his harem of 100 cows. Three more hours lying in a snipers hide of rock waiting for the bull to appear was followed by several shots from 320 to 360 yards before the old boy was down for good. Overall, it was the hunt of a lifetime thanks to the unselfish help of my nephew and two of my brothers. It was epic.

The crew.

The bull I left behind.

Great hunt in some great but tough country.

Good hunting to you guys.

The tops almost have a stag like basket. Where did you go... Not asking for GPS just general area. Good story!

Tim,
That's an outstanding bull! Congrats!
We archery hunted the Snake unit many years ago. Hiked in from Dugg Bar.
Sure is some beautiful country!

Very well done sir!

-Mike

Thanks, Mike! Yeah, it's beautiful and brutal. A guy earns anything he takes out of that country.....:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.