2014 elk hunt The conclusion with PICS

Tikkamike

I finally drew another bull tag after waay too many years of waiting. So far I know a lot of people who have eaten their bull tags because it was warm and dry. But for us that hasnt been a bad thing. I got up to camp the day before it opened and went up to my glassing spot about an hour before sunset and literally found too many bulls to count. but it was about 15 bulls scattered around. The next morning we were back at the glassing spot and before it got light I was pretty sure I could hear bulls sparring in the trees below us but didnt think much of it. As it got light bulls started appearing and it wasnt long and I found one I wanted to go after. so off we went. about 10 minutes into the hike I found a puddle of pee and some still warm elk crap, so I knew there was something just ahead of us.. still not thinking much of it. 10 minutes later I came around a bend there down below me in a clearing where 2 bulls sparring and one looked pretty dang good but was hard to tell with antlers locked together. when they separated I realized the big bull had a main beam that was broken just above his second point. the other bull was a small 6x6. I turned and told my buddy I wasnt interested in either and if he wanted one they were all his. he quickly stepped up and shot the 6x6. Knowing the hunt was blown for the morning we quartered and packed his bull out. that night we were back to the glassing spot and saw 13 bulls but all were way in the back of the bowl and not enough daylight to get to them so we went back with hopes something would change in the morning. Next morning was daylight savings time and i miscalculated and it was about shooting light when we left the tent. but we got up to our spot in time to watch a group of 10 bulls walk in the trees at the back of the bowl and bed in the trees. 4 of which were big 6 points and one looked to be 340ish. so that afternoon I left for the back of the bowl. 4 hours later i was on the knob I wanted to be on when the elk started coming out. I saw several 5 and 6 points but none of the 10 bulls I had watched that morning. I had figured out they werent coming out when I looked up the hill and a big bull was standing facing me oblivious to me being there. I got the binos on him and could see he was wide and tall and ranged him at 288 yards. I was about to put a 225 ttsx in his chest when something came over me and told me "it took 4 hours to hike in here so make sure its worth packing out" so I decided to wait for him to turn his head for further evaluation. BOY am I glad I did because when he turned his head I realized it was the broken beam bull! unbroken he would be about 330" but he was just in too bad of shape. so I backed out and headed back to camp. It was a heck of a good time and I cant wait for this weekend to go back up. This bull was my buddies first 6 point.

I will update the thread next week when I get back from trip #2

Re: 2014 elk hunt *in progress*

That's is a nice looking bull. Glad you waited. I'm sure you'll get one. Just remember a small bull eats better than tag soup!!!!!

Can't wait to hear more of the report Mike. Sounds like you shouldn't have any problem filling the tag. Trying to pick the right bull to put the tag on? Now that might be a problem :)

If all else fails, just put that peanut buttercup out on the ground and wait a few. I'm sure that something will show up for you to shoot :D.

That's is a nice looking bull. Glad you waited. I'm sure you'll get one. Just remember a small bull eats better than tag soup!!!!!

That is true, however after the 15th my tag turns into a cow tag till december 21st so I am hoping I resist the temptation to shoot something less than what I really want. Cows are just as yummy as bulls. for now im concentrating on the eyebrows up

Hahahahahs. I hear you dude!!!! I would do the same thing. I never had a bull tag turn to cow. If so, I'd be born hunting every year and be happy with a freezer full of cow meat

Good luck dude

My friend at work that I hunted general elk with has a daughter and son in law that both had the early season tag where you are. They killed two nice 6x6's one was a 340 bull and the other about a 320 for his daughter's first elk. Winter is coming next week, maybe that will help with some more choices. Good luck Mike!

I finally pulled the trigger on a bull. I got up to camp friday night and was out at my glassing spot first thing in the morning. The weather was still warm and so I expected the elk to still be where I left them. As it got daylight I only spotted 5 bulls. 2 were only a mile away but up in the timber and 2 others were a couple miles off and headed for timber and the 5th was only a mile down the ridge to the east but also headed to timber. I decided he looked as good as any of them and figured he would be the easiest to pack out if I killed him. That afternoon I was hiking along the ridge to get to my ambush spot and I looked down in the trees on the creek bottom and there was a big wall tent and a bunch of horses right smack dab in the MIDDLE of where I had been hunting. Realizing that was the reason I wasnt seeing many elk I was pretty discouraged and pretty pessimistic about seeing the bull I was after again because that camp was only about 3/4 of a mile from where I was standing. At this point it was too late to make other plans so I stuck with it and got to the spot I was going to wait from. as I sat there and glassed the sun was setting and I wasnt seeing much then all the sidden there he was coming out of the trees exactly where I watched him go in that morning. he walked out and I could tell he wasnt the bull I was really wanting, but my mind was telling me this is a pretty good oportunity on a decent bull, a storm is coming (I was hunting on dry ground without even a skiff of snow.) plus with those guys camped in the bottom I was lucky to even be seeing this elk and I only had 2 days where I could get away to hunt left so I decided maybe my standards werent so important to me. I ranged him down below me at 516 yards. I was shooting my Tikka 338 win with 225 TTSX topped with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm B&C reticle. at that range I knew my reticle that topped out at 500 would still be good for the extra 16 yards. He was head down watering and I let one fly. I heard the bullet hit but the elk didnt even flinch he just picked up his head and started walking back to the timber. Didnt act hit, didnt limp, nothing so thinking I must have missed I cranked another in and when he stopped I sent another but higher on the shoulder and took out his spine and dropped him in his tracks. I ask my dad if I missed the first shot and he said he was sure he saw the hide ripple on the first shot. Eitherway he was down now. We made our way down to him and I only found one bullet hole and it was the one in his spine so I assumed the first was a miss and went about the gutless quarter, took the backstraps and put them in my pack, cut the horns off and strapped them on and cut the ivories out. It was dark and in Grizzly country I usually dont hang out around my kills longer than I have to after dark. The next morning we went after the quarters, I was going to take the hind quarters out whole and debone the fronts since there is more bone than meat up there. as I was skinning the front right I found my bullet hole it was square in the middle of the shoulder and the bone was crushed but there was no exit on the other side. I didnt go digging for the bullet but I know it didnt come out the other side. Just a reminder of how tough these things are.. he gave no indication of a hit and walked probably 40 yards. after a 7 hour long pack out we got back to camp and I can say I am plum happy with the hunt. I wish he were bigger but under the circumstances I am happy to have some antlers and a bunch of elk meat in the freezer. If you look in the pics its hard to tell but he is barely a 6x6 his right side the G5 didnt start in the same place as it did on the other side and its right near the end of the beam and only 2.5" long. he has decent tine length for what he is and his beams are about 45" long. I dont know what he scores yet but I will measure him tonight. I waited 7 years between drawing this tag, it was a long wait but the hunt was even better than I had expected.

Loaded up and leaving camp

Good going. I know you wanted a bigger one but Sometimes you have to take what you are given when things aren't looking up.

I will measure mine tomorrow but from the looks of yours, mine will be about the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.