2014 elk hunt please help

Dlewis82nd

Hello I am trying to plan a elk hunt for the 2014 season. Im not picky on a state I just want to get my dad out west and get a elk on the ground. I would like over the counter tags but will put in for a draw. we are not sexist we just want elk! I will get back from Afghanistan around May-June and really want to make a trip happen. If someone could give me advice on where to go i would greatly appreciate it.

What part of the country are you from? That might help in making a decision. I don't know a bunch about the other states, but Colorado has a ton of options for areas to hunt with over the counter tags available in a bunch of units. If you want to keep the price down, cow tags are the way to go. If you want a cow tag, the best bet is to put in for the draw, although they can be had as leftover tags for some areas. Do some searching around on here, it will have a bunch of answers for you including statistics on certain areas as well as draw results, etc: Colorado Parks and Wildlife | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

I am from Missouri but the plan was to come from Colorado. Can you give me any advise on a place to go in Colorado.

Honestly there are so many different areas of Colorado that are good that I couldn't really suggest one over the other without actually hunting each of them. If it were me, I would start by looking at the success rates of units that either have OTC bull tags or a 100% draw result for cow or bull. You will learn a lot about what general areas have higher success rates over another. Once you do that, get your list down to a few units and start the research. You can do a lot of online scouting as well as talking to the local DOW offices. Generally speaking, they will be able to give you a lot of advice on areas to start looking within a unit. There is also a bunch of information online if you search hard enough, and sometimes people are even willing to give you some good advice on specific units in threads like these.

Best of luck!

If you decide to come to Colorado start here: Plan Your Hunt | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Since getting your father out west on an elk hunt is mentioned, what type of elk hunt you want will help determine the area. If your father is fit and wants to climb mountains the San Juans, Flat Tops, or any of the mountainous areas in central Colorado are open to you.

On the other hand, if high altitude hiking isn't desired, western Colorado is a better choice. Lots of oil/gas well roads that give access by vehicle to elk country. Great optics and Hunting Maps on a mapping GPS (available on this site) are essential equipment. Much of the area is steep pinyon canyons where a long range rifle can stretch its legs shooting across them.

Ok thank you, I am 26 and he is 53 he can still get around just fine. I have been told by a few people here in missouri that there is some good ground out by Ridgeway. Is anyone familiar with that area?

Ok thank you, I am 26 and he is 53 he can still get around just fine. I have been told by a few people here in missouri that there is some good ground out by Ridgeway. Is anyone familiar with that area?

I've never hunted over there but two units border Ridgeway 62 and 65. 62 does border unit 61 to the south which may take yrs to draw a bull tag and I'm sure along that border between the two see lot of hunters unit 62. I know unit 61 takes 11yrs to draw archery tag and 16yrs for NR and up to 18yrs for rifle tag NR.

well good luck

Honestly if your not from the area your going to spend a bunch of coin...why not go with an outfitter? I know a crap ton on places in Colorado when I was stationed there. But now in Montana, hunting them here. Go to canon city and head north west bunch on land. Or a little place called west cliff......but shhhh it's in Colorado.

Look at western colorado in the Glenwood springs area. I lived there since 2007 and had good luck elk hunting. My friends and I usually buy otc bull tags and leftover cow tags if we can get them. Craig Colorado boasts being the elk hunting capital of the USA, food for thought. There was a magazine article a few years ago about gmu 33 being prime country after that I've heard there is a lump of orange on every ridge and rock, might want to avoid that area. An ex co-worker grew up hunting that unit and has since quite do to the amount of people hunting there now. Best of luck to you and your father on planning a hunt.

Thank you all so very much. It really does help.

One problem we have in Co is the OTC bull tags so there no quote on hunters and there is 86 game units 2/3 season for those OTC tags west of I-25 and their is 34 game unit west of I-25 no OTC tag are available.

Good game units your going to see hunters no way around that and it could be first time hunter to some like me that may hunt 36yrs same units. I've killed bull's same unit but not same location and sometime may not fill a tag.

It's nothing to see elk camp set 2/3 wks before season locals do it all the time. I can also count those that have a pack string for hunting and just because outfitter has a permit for certain unit/units doesn't me he own the hunting rights.

I kind of like hunting above timberline vs some units you may not have that same as I know some that can seat all day watch or the one's that hunt the dark timber. It's not a one size fits all got to figure out what you like if I had to hunt the dark timber I quit hunting and I sure don't like it for archery either.

Got some good friend that hunt a unit why not take their advice good place to start.

I'm stationed in Fort Carson and just did this....took my dad on an elk hunt.

Didnt get anything, but saw some.

I'll gather some info of where we went and some other places I heard about.

regards

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.