2013 SHOT Show® Day Two (16 Jan 2013)

ELR Researcher

2013 SHOT Show® Day Two (16 Jan 2013) - bits and pieces on the "ELR-related", my take (alpha order).

NOTE: The below report is cut from my website.
ALL the pics are at http://www.elr-resources.com/page16.html. As you might imagine, there is no way I could have uploaded 30+ pics to a forum such as this one. Thanks for understanding.

1. Accuracy International - see CORRECTION to info on Savage AICS in Day One report (below)

2. Accurate-Mags (AM) - Is now offering to civilians what it has been selling "elsewhere", the "Accurate-Mags Special Service Rifle". This a Rem 700-based or Savage 110-based rifle in 300 and 338 Norma Magnum. It uses AM's XM2010 6 round double stacked mags (338 LM CIP length), is modular and adjustable, with folding stock. Pics #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8. They also had on display, a Rangemaster Precision Arms (RPA) "RPA Quadlock" action in 50 BMG - which I could not stop taking pictures of. Pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8. Why in the AM booth? "We are exploring a relationship. RPA is already the exclusive distributor of AM mags in Europe." Let's keep our fingers (and toes) crossed. An absolutely incredible action - and rifles, and triggers.

3. Bergara - I spoke with Mr. Mark Hendricks, VP of Technical Development , for BPI Outdoors, which includes Bergara. He introduced me to the new "Bergara Heavy Tactical" with 338 LM option. That option is based on an action produced by Stiller for them plus Badger bottom DBM. This rifle includes a McMillan A4 stock. Badger rings are also an option. See pics and details (including MSRPs) at http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara-heavytactical-bcr19.php

4. Corbon - I inquired how their 338 NM ammo was selling and they basically said it isn't - for lack of rifles shooting it. If only General Dynamics was in the civilian rifle making business. At least the folks at Ashbury, DTA, Gunwerks, KMW (Terry Cross), McMillan, and Surgeon Rifles are offering models in 338 NM. I'll try to remember to ask Black Hills tomorrow, the only other "current" supplier.

5. DTA pics - of the new SRS-A1,pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7. And of the integral scope base and ring set mentioned yesterday, pic #1, #2, #3.

6. H-S Precision - has added the "PLR" (professional long range) model in 338 LM (CIP length proprietary mags).

7. IOR/Valdada 5.8-40x56 model pics - #1, #2, #3, #4,

8. Magtech is listing 408 CT and 460 Steyr ammo in their catalog, "Extreme Performance" line. They will be pushing CNC turned solids/solid HPs - no ballistics. When we'll see them???

9. Norma - has just released 338 NM ammo (shipping almost immediately). One SKU (#20185272) pushing the 300 gr SMK.

10. Sako - 11 pages in their "Defense & Law Enforcement" catalog. The associated website is still restricted access. A couple pics, #1, #2.

11. Schmidt & Bender - introduced the "3.5-27x56 PM II High Power", a 9X zoom, FFP scope; specs in English measure (weird) with MRAD total elevation adjustment of 36 MRADs (.1MRAD/click). Expected here in late Summer.

12. Sierra 7 Bipods - a brand new item stashed away in another manufacturer's booth. Suffice to say, seriously SLICK! How slick? I've signed up for at least one (as I have for the new IOR/Valdada scope mentioned in these reports). [No "writer's" price, no sweet deal, just regular-Joe price.] This bipod has dual locking handles, is super smooth, does both pan and cant, and includes a QD attach to a Pic rail. Pics - #1, #2, #3. More info and much better pics at http://www.sierra7bipods.com. Oh, and pricing...$325 MSRP (that's $125 under the other great bipod shown all over the show floor, also without a booth).

13. TrackingPoint - well, it seems to be seriously real. A very substantial booth, four simulation stations, and plenty of interested prospects. I ran the drill and the only complaint I had was the initial scope reticle is the standard black color and you lose it on a dark target, like the black bear in the simulation I ran. So you really aren't sure where you have tagged the target until you start the trigger pull and the bright orange (red?) "Tag" appears. I have pics (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6). Much more info is on the now-public website, www.tracking-point.com. Oh, you wanted a bit more info? They are offering three models, ranging in MSRP from $17K to $22K. That includes 200 rounds of "spec" (my term) ammo. Why mention ammo? Because they will be their customer's sole source of ammo going forward (current plan). Why? Or the system will not work. Reloaders need not apply - at least if they were planning on tuning the rifle's performance with reloads. Simply put, "ammo" is a critical element in the "science" of making this system work.

2013 SHOT Show® Day One (15 Jan 2013)....

1. Accuracy International (AI) – they say, the Savage 110 (LA) AICS chassis "is in distribution NOW!" (PT). They say, the PSR system "should be available by Summer". That was Day One, talking to person A. Day Two, Person A asks for confirmation from Person B, (paraphrased) "no such product, SA only, NO plans for LA". That's 20+ pics later . Suffice it to say, I was seriously irked!

Last edited:
Have there been any "new" long range bullets released?
The bullet makers seem to have fallen asleep at the wheel this year.

Topshot:

I focus on 338 LM class and above. In that area Cutting Edge (CE) - right before the SHOT Show (on January 10th) released their "Extended Range (ER) Raptor" line.

The press releases about the tech are:

http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/...sRelease2_1_10_13_ER_CU_Raptor.pdf?1357848197

and

http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/...PressRelease_1_10_13_ER_Raptor.pdf?1357848059

They intro'd .277 (270), 6.8mm, and .338 products.

The 338 is their ER_D176_Raptor, a tipped projectile of 176 gr. More info at https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ER_D176_RAPTOR

ELR Researcher, Thanks for that.

No other real LR bullets being released at the Shot Show by any of the major bullet makers?

Cheers.

Topshot:

Assuming you mean, folks like Berger and Sierra, nothing identified as "new" or "coming". Sierra was trying to promote the 375/350 SMK as "new" but the word has been out (including on Sierra's webiste), and the product has been shipping, for several months.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.