2013 Alaska Yukon Moose

victorc

On the last day of the moose season in the Alaska Mountain Range I almost got a long shot off on a nice bull moose. The bull was laying down broadside next to a frozen pond at 506 yards but he didn't give me a chance to get setup for the shot before he stood up and walked behind a small patch of pine trees. My guide put out a couple conservative cow calls and the bull starting moving toward us but disappeared into the thick trees. About 20 minutes later we saw antlers moving through the trees as the bull was making his way up the hillside towards the cow call. He made it to 120 yards where he stood quartering to me and trying to see where the cow call was coming from. I hit him in the front part of the left shoulder with my Winchester Model 70 .300 Ultra Mag and a 180 grain Nosler Accubond. He wheeled around 180 degrees and died. The shot took out the shoulder, one lung and the liver. I hunted with Tom Shankster's Alaska Trophy Hunts.

Attachments

• 044a.jpg
    044a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 92
Well, that's a dream hunt for me. I've got a 300 RUM also and have a ton of 180 Accubonds that were 2nds from Nosler. When I was in CO in September, Walmart had about 15 boxes of 180 ABs 30 cal on sale for $20/box so I bought all of them.

Great moose! Are you planning on another hunt like that?

I've been watching the same two fawns for the last 10 days here during MI bow hunting. To say I'm a little jealous would be an understatement!

Awesome moose, thanks for putting it up for us to ogle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.