2012 General deer

Tikkamike

Well i spent Saturday with my dad hiking in the mountains looking for deer. Came up a little short, didnt see many deer but saw some Big Horn Sheep, wolf and lion tracks. Nothing worth pulling the trigger on. Today i didnt even go out for the morning hunt then about 3:00 pm i decided i might as well run out and see if i could find something. I found a little piece of public ground i thought looked interesting so i hiked up there and soon found out i was not the only person who thought it looked interesting. After about 20 minutes i decided it wasnt worth it. I was headed back to the truck and i bumped into this guy trying to sneak away. He took off running at less than 100 yards so i chambered a 160TSX and sent one his way off hand from my 7mm. He dropped in his tracks. He scores 160" on the dot. Not a giant by any means but my best muley to date.
2012-11-04_16-22-27_871.jpg

2012-11-04_16-22-08_558.jpg

Nice buck man! Look at those brow tines. Congrats. I hope I am blessed like you when I get to CO! How far are you willing to shoot a deer with that TSX? Is your "7" a Rem Mag?

Nothing at all wrong with a 160 buck!! Especially on public land. Definately an above average deer in most areas I hunt.

Good job Mike! Nice buck, Tall and Symetrical. Congratulations.:)

I was hoping he would score a little high because I dont have any mule deer shoulder mounts. But It would at least need to score higher than my best whitetail to be mount worthy which he misses the mark. I think if I ever get a 170+ or a nice non typical ill do a shoulder mount. So I am going to just have the skull bleached.. Thanks for the kind words guys.

Good question! I hadnt killed anything with this rifle in a while and it was my first rifle i bought when i was 12 working for an old guy at a meat processing/taxidermy shop for $10 bucks a day. So i thought the old girl deserved a fresh kill.

Kind of a cool update. I saved my cape because the taxidermist was going to give me a credit for it. but then my dad mentioned wanting to have the shoulder mount of his first buck redone. (its not the deer original cape anyway and its not looking so great these days..). so I gave him the cape. So my Dads first deer will wear a cape I killed. Kind of a cool deal I think

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts