2011 Long Range Shoots, Townsend Montana

I'll be there and I'll have my little daughter in tow, and 18 of the sexiest 270 WSM rounds you ever saw :D No drop charts but I got a zero today and a .41 MOA group at 300 with 5fps SD so it's long range time gun)Excited to see how these Matrix bullets do out there!!

I had a great time today! What an awesome day for LRS! Cant wait till next month.
SS851629.jpg

SS851626.jpg

Last edited:
It turned of a decent day after all!! It's nice to put some names and faces together of line.

Kinda worked the cob webs out a little and looking forward to the rest of the shoots this summer, most my gear hasn't been out since I broke my ankle in the fall, almost forgot how to run half the junk I'm lugging around :D

Jeff, could we put some clay birds out on some of the berms or would the range not like that? I know some don't care other do. And thanks again for putting this on!!

Thanks to all that came out for our biggest shoot yet!!! I really appreciate it! I forgot to count but I thik we had like 15 to 18 shooters there, including a very cute little gal from Dillon with a pink savage that was shooting steal rams. :)

I will post some pics tomorrow but I wish I would have taken more.

BnG, the clay targets are a great idea. I will have a box of them ready for the next shoot. this will really help with sight ins too.

Very nice meeting all you guys.

Jeff

Jeff, Thanks a lot for sponsoring the shoot! I'm planning on being there again next month and a little more prepared.

I went back home yesterday, cleaned the rifle,loaded up some more load tests and back to the Logan range last evening. I got some interesting results. Got a little more work to do on that but will be posting results later.

BnG, You have a real cute little Annie Oakley there, she'll probably be out shooting all of us before long :)

My son Daniel shooting his 300 Win Mag with an A-5 and a 28" Broughton. He had no problem with the 9x10" square steel at 850 yards.

DSC02962Small.jpg

Daniels friend Michelle shooting our Stagg AR 15. This was a first for Michelle ever shooting anything other than a BB gun. She did awesome with the AR and the 6br and was wearing out the gong and a rock at 550 yards.

DSC02960Small.jpg

Bign Greens 6 yr old Daughter and here pink Savage 22.

We set out a couple steel rams for her and she went to work at "putting the smack down on them" :)

DSC02956Small.jpg

DSC02957Small.jpg

Again it was a great shoot everyone and Thank You for comming!!!

Next shoot is May 14th. and we will be having them the second Saturday each month till fall.

If you have ideas, suggestions or requests just let me know and I will see what I can do.

See ya next month.

Jeff gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff, Thanks a lot for sponsoring the shoot! I'm planning on being there again next month and a little more prepared.

Mark, nice meeting you and glad you could make it. I am looking forward to next month too and hope to have a few things workrd out with my 338 too.

I also want to Thank Len and Long Range Huntng for letting me advertise the shoots here. It is awesome getting to know all you LR shooters in person. Pretty cool!!!

Thank You Len!

Jeff

Here is a general layout of the range done on Google Earth by Bigngreen. Thought this might be of interest for anyone that has not been here yet.

Thanks BnG!!

2011-04-10_0734_Townsend_rangeSmall.png

Here are a couple of my pics from the shoot. What a great day! I had a hard time coping with the lack of wind! It seems like it is always blowing in this area. I was pleasantly surprised.

Townsend-4-9-2011003-1.jpg

Townsend-4-9-2011005-1.jpg

My new stick is working exceptionally well. I needed to find my drops for my 6.5-06AI, and was surprised how little they were. With a 100yd zero, my drops were as follows; 416-3.75min, 550-6.5min, 775-11min, and 1014-20.25min. This is with a 100b-tip at about 3550. Nice and flat and very accurate. As I was finding the correction for the 1014 steel, I was shooting at the water jug at teh right end of the rack. The first shot was not seen, the next two missed just to the right. I believe I added a half min. windage. Just after the third, I felt the wind pick up on my face, and I hit the jug to the left of the one at which I was aiming. I added two min, and hit the jug! I think I will keep it! My only gripe is I would like to use the 120b-tip just for a little extra weight, but the 100s shoot more consistantly. It is a half-inch load, and I am getting some small flyers with the 120s. I don't know if it is just me yet, but the 100s don't have them. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
The only fly in the ointment was with the long targets. We had a hard time seeing misses because of the grass around the plates. I never was sure on the 775 steel. It needed some dirt around it to see better, but overall, it was a blast. I will be there next month.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.